Communities » Fox Lake Area News
Parish closures, consolidations expected as part of Chicago Archdiocese restructuring planA number of suburban parishes in Cook and Lake county are expected to be shuttered in a massive restructuring plan being put into place by the Chicago Archdiocese, an effort closely guarded by members of the clergy in recent months. But the plan, still in its early stages, isn’t solely a matter of simple math, Archdiocese Chief Operating Officer Betsy Bohlen told the Daily Herald Friday.Last Updated Feb 6, 2016 7:52 AM
Lake County Board Dist. 5 GOP hopefuls oppose tax hike to buy landPosted Feb 6, 2016 6:45 AM
Voters should not be asked to replenish funds to buy more property for forest preserves, the three Republican candidates for the Lake County Board District 5 seat agree.
Former Fox Lake chief was suspended twice before becoming chiefUpdated Feb 5, 2016 2:35 PM
Fox Lake officials released six police personnel files Friday, including those for former Chief Mike Behan and Det. Jason Baldowsky.
Dold is well funded, thanks to political action committees: FEC reportsPosted Feb 5, 2016 5:15 AM
Republican incumbent Robert Dold finished 2015 as the best-funded candidate for Illinois’ 10th Congressional District seat -- but he got to there with significant help from special interest groups, especially those in the banking industry, federal records show.
County wants $6,000 from Lake Zurich-area homeless opponentsUpdated Feb 4, 2016 6:59 PM
Some residents might be on the hook for $6,000 in transcript costs related to a public hearing they initiated in fighting a plan to place homeless people in Midlothian Manor near Lake Zurich.
Friends of Volo Bog scholarships availableUpdated Feb 4, 2016 5:57 PM
The Friends of Volo Bog is offering scholarships of $1,000 each for those entering college or continuing college education.
Fox Lake man accused of child porn, drug chargesUpdated Feb 4, 2016 11:35 AM
Two Fox Lake residents face multiple felony charges after police found child pornography and drugs in their home, Lake County authorities said.
Five injured, one critically, in Long Grove crashUpdated Feb 4, 2016 10:43 AM
One person was in critical condition and four others injured Wednesday night when a car collided with a SUV in Long Grove, authorities said.
10th candidates talk guns in latest debatePosted Feb 4, 2016 5:40 AM
Democratic congressional candidate Brad Schneider made gun violence the first issue of his debate with opponent Nancy Rotering Wednesday night at Stevenson High School.
- $500 sheriff’s association scholarship available
- Fox Lake woman accused of crashing into house, ambulance
- Lake County sheriff warns of burglaries at salons
- Widow of disgraced Fox Lake officer pleads not guilty
- 10th Congressional hopefuls Rotering, Schneider spar over Iran
- Driver flees after hitting Fox Lake house
- Great Lakes Naval Museum event
- Lake County forest board balks at cell tower lease extension
- State’s attorney candidates argue over Calusinski case
- Slick roads are reported in Lake, McHenry counties
- Suburbs are short on police social workers
- Where are the big-money suburban races for Congress?
- Nerheim guest at Fireside Chats
- Volunteer to help the environment
- Schneider, Rotering to debate twice this week
- Dawn Patrol: Redefining ‘college-ready’; a treat for ‘Downton Abbey’ fans
- Images: It’s a very eclectic Week in Pictures
- Get Lake County Board meeting notices by email
Fox Lake Calendar
Recently shared by others
- Feb. 18: CLC hosts U.S. Minority Contractor Association meeting
- Feb. 18: CLC hosts U.S. Minority Contractor Association meeting
- Feb. 17: Thai-American author to present reading and workshop at CLC
- CLC Literary Arts Society sponsors two events
- Feb. 20: ‘Think HBCU’ college expo at CLC Lakeshore Campus
- Feb. 11: Export compliance workshop at CLC Southlake Campus
- Celebrate Canned Food Month with Northern Illinois Food Bank
- Clean Cities Coalitions to host environmental conference
- Tom Cullerton: we cannot rest until heroin problem is eradicated
- North Shore/Inner-city Schools’ Black History Month Celebration Marks 20th Anniversary
- Nearly 100 fourth-through-seventh-grade students from St. Malachy School in Chicago visited Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart in Lake Forest Feb. 7 for a day of events including an uplifting gospel liturgy, pizza lunch, talent show and a carnival. This celebration marked the latest chapter in a Black History Month tradition between the inner-city grade school and the North Shore high school dating back to 1996. Pictured here, students from both schools joined the combined choirs at the conclusion of the gospel liturgy to sing “We Shall Overcome” in honor of Pete Seeger, who passed away Jan. 27. Woodlands Academy
It’s countdown time for Woodlands Academy of the Sacred Heart’s 41st annual financial aid fundraiser, Congé. Modeling this year’s theme colors are (from left) Co-Chair Mary Oelerich of Chicago, Silent Auction Chair Alison Kohlmeyer of Lake Forest and Co-Chair Jean Olson of Evanston. The fundraising starts at 9 a.m. Friday, April 11, with online bidding at www.bidpal.net/Congé for a variety of exciting silent auction items such as four VIP tickets to a Los Angeles taping of Conan O’Brien’s TBS TV show, a Chicago Blackhawks hockey stick signed by members of the 2013-14 team and for wine enthusiasts, a 750ml bottle of Chateau Petrus Pomerol (2006). Online bids will be accepted up to and then as part of the silent auction that takes place during the Congé dinner event which begins with cocktails at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 26, at the Glen View Club, 100 Golf Road, Golf, IL. Silent auction bidding ends at 10 p.m.
For more information about Congé contact Woodlands Academy Associate Director of Advancement for Special Events Tami Rocha at 847-234-4300, ext. 226 or visit www.woodlandsacademy.org Woodlands Academy
- Enjoy a beautiful trail run during the JCYS 5K Run/Walk in support of Camp Red Leaf, an overnight camping experience for youth and adults with developmental disabilities, emotional and behavioral needs. Runners will gather on Sunday, September 21 at 10 am at 26710 W. Nippersink Road in Ingleside, IL and run past the fully-accessible summer camp that includes a tree house; high and low ropes course, and zip line; lake front and pool; and year-round lodging. Registration is $35/runner and $10 for kids 12 and under. More information at www.jcys.org/5K. JCYS Camp Red Leaf
- 28 Mixed Media pieces by Peggy Gannon will be displayed at the Starline Gallery in Harvard April 25 from 6-9 p.m. Peggy Gannon
- An American White Pelican chases a seagull with the catch of the day from Pistakee Lake. Tim Rennels
- Many pelicans seen on Fox River this weekend Diana Snarski
- Many pelicans were on the Fox River in Fox Lake this past weekend. Diana Snarski
- An American White Pelican cruises on the open water of Pistakee Lake Tim Rennels
- M. Curtis Whittington, a veteran waiting for a heart transplant, drove away in a recycled car Feb. 12 after being nominated by Tim Heiney, a case manager with Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services (LMVFS). The car was presented to the Whittington family at the 4th Annual Gifting of a Recycled Ride by CARSTAR Mundelein and their sponsors Esurance, 1-800-Charity Cars, Cottman Transmissions & Total Auto Care, Jack Phelan Dodge, MOPAR, Recycled Rides, Stafford’s, Keystone/LKQ, Atlas Car Wash, NABC, AutoZone, NTB, and St. Vincent de Paul. A reception was held for the gifting where local businesses and restaurants donated food and services. This is the second LMVFS client who has received a car through this annual program. The Lake-McHenry Veterans and Family Services program works through a network of agencies to help military personnel, veterans and their families face challenges, before, during and after their service to this country without eligibility restrictions. LMVFS is also a member of Illinois Joining Forces, an initiative formed to insure community level, military-culture sensitive support and services statewide. LMVFS is located at the Lake County Health Department, 121 E. Grand Avenue in Lake Villa, and has additional offices in Waukegan and McHenry. For more information, call: (847) 377-VET6 (8386). Lake County Health Department
"What's the matter fishie?"
Kayleigh Troyan ready to kiss and release her bass at the Spring Grove Bass Hatchery. Photo taken Sunday, May 19, 2013. Brittany Clark
- Artwork by Woodlands Academy junior Erika Cerillo of Waukegan is among those featured at the Deer Path Art League Emerging Artists show in Lake Forest now through March 28. This is one of three exhibits in which artwork by several Woodlands Academy students is on display this month. The other shows are at the Lake Forest Library and the University of St. Francis School of Creative Arts in Fort Wayne, Ind. Woodlands Academy
More Fox Lake News
- Fox Lake Business
- Why it's harder to get rid of your old TV
- Economic development forum in Grayslake
- Liquor license revoked for Lake Bluff-area tavern
Points of Interest
- Toggle map points:
- Community Colleges
Daily Herald Communities
- The Heart of the Chain O' Lakes
- 42.40075, -88.176975
- Lake County