Breaking News Bar
updated: 1/10/2017 4:34 PM

Sprinkler credited for saving BAPS Center in Bartlett

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald report

A fire that started in a large commercial dryer at the BAPS Cultural Center in Bartlett last week was held in place by a sprinkler until fire crews arrived, preventing the possible loss of a suburban landmark, authorities say.

Occupants of the building at 1851 S. Route 59 were quickly notified to evacuate by the fire alarm system at 9:39 p.m. Jan. 3,

Damage was limited to the dryer and smoke damage to the immediate area around it.

"The building where the fire occurred is very large and unique," Bartlett Fire Protection District Fire Chief Michael Falese said. "Without a fire sprinkler system, this could have been a very significant fire with millions of dollars of damage and a loss of a landmark facility."

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.