Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/22/2014 11:08 AM

Laptop causes small fire at Maine West

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A small fire at Maine West High School Thursday morning was extinguished quickly and caused no significant damage, officials said.

Des Plaines firefighters responded to the school, 1755 S. Wolf Road, after 10 a.m. when a laptop overheated and ignited nearby papers, according to Fire Chief Alan Wax.

Wax said school staff extinguished most of it with an extinguisher by the time firefighters arrived. Smoke filled the hallway and teachers who were participating in a faculty in-service evacuated the building. It took a little time to ventilate the hallway. There was no structural damage, and no injuries were reported.

The first day of school for students is Monday.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.