Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/3/2014 2:12 PM

Fire displaces Elgin apartment residents

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

Some residents of an apartment on the 1100 block of Birch Drive were displaced Saturday evening after a fire caused by an overloaded electrical outlet, Elgin fire officials said.

Elgin firefighters responded to the report of an apartment fire at 10:53 p.m.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The first companies arrived within four minutes after dispatch and found a three-story, six-unit apartment building engulfed by smoke throughout the common areas. Firefighters said the fire was seen coming from a first-floor apartment.

A small fire was found in a back bedroom and was quickly extinguished.

The building was fully occupied, but only the residents of affected apartment were displaced for the evening.

Fire officials said a representative of the landlord was notified and would be out Sunday to see the building.

City code enforcement was notified for follow-up, and the building property was secured by a board-up company.

Fire loss was estimated at approximately $5,000.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.