Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/30/2014 11:46 AM

Officials say Wheaton garage fire likely started by fire pit embers

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

Authorities say a fire that caused extensive damage to the garage of a Wheaton house may have been caused by the disposal of embers from a fire pit.

The fire occurred at a home on the 1200 block of Lowden Avenue about 5 p.m. Tuesday, according to a news release.

The fire, which started in a detached garage and was later ruled accidental, was brought under control within 15 minutes, officials said.

There also was minor damage to the exterior of the home and to the exterior of an adjoining residence.

The estimated damage was $10,000. After inspection by firefighters, the Wheaton police and building officials allowed the homeowner to return.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.