Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/30/2014 12:26 PM

Lightning sparks Crystal Lake house fire, displaces family

Success - Article sent! close
Daily Herald report

An early morning lightning strike is to blame for a fire Monday that left a Crystal Lake house uninhabitable and displaced its two residents, authorities said.

Crystal Lake Fire Rescue Department firefighters responding about 3:07 a.m. to the fire in the 4000 block of Ned Drive found smoke and flames coming from the attic area in the front of the two-story, single-family home.

Fire crews discovered an attic fire and proceeded to work to extinguish the fire. It was declared under control at 3:44 a.m., according to the department.

There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters, and initial damage estimates are $65,000, the fire department reported. The cause of the fire appears to be a lightning strike to the roof.

Because of the amount of damage from fire and smoke, the structure was deemed uninhabitable. An inspection by the McHenry County Department of Planning and Development was expected later Monday.

A family of two was displaced by the fire and is being assisted by family in the area, according to the fire department.

Crystal Lake was assisted by fire departments from Algonquin, Huntley, McHenry, Nunda Rural, Cary, Lakewood, Woodstock, Wauconda, Barrington, and Carpentersville.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.