Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/29/2014 6:26 PM

Cats resuscitated after Hoffman Estates house fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

No one was injured early Sunday morning when fire broke out in a home on the 400 block of West Berkeley Lane in Hoffman Estates.

Though the home's residents were able to evacuate safely, two cats had to be rescued by firefighters.

Battalion Chief Richard Englund of the Hoffman Estates Fire Department said the family pets were not doing well when firefighters carried them from the house to the waiting paramedics.

"They weren't responding well and they were fairly limp," Englund said.

Englund said firefighters used oxygen masks designed for cats and dogs to resuscitate the animals. The family then took the cats to an animal hospital. Englund said he last heard that the animals were doing well.

Two grandparents and their three grandchildren were home when the fire started about 6 a.m. Englund said the children's parents were out-of-state, but returned home when they got the call with the news.

Although an investigation is still ongoing, Englund said the fire is believed to have been started by an old, faulty refrigerator in the garage.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, heavy smoke was coming from the attached garage and there was lighter smoke emitting from the rest of the home. Fire crews made their way into the garage and fought the fire with two hoses.

Englund said the garage sustained most of the damage, but the house is uninhabitable.

According to a release by the fire department, the house had working smoke detectors and was not equipped with a sprinkler system.

The fire department estimated damages at $150,000.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.