Breaking News Bar
updated: 6/9/2014 5:05 PM

Adult court sought for 3 teens in Elgin beating

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

Kane County prosecutors requested Monday that three Elgin teens accused of beating and robbing an 87-year-old man Saturday be prosecuted as adults.

Judge Thomas Mueller did not rule on that issue Monday. He will consider the matter July 28.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

He did, however, deny a request by public defenders for the immediate release from the county youth facility of two of the suspects, noting the seriousness of the crime.

"Quite honestly, they don't get more serious than this, except for murder," Mueller said.

The 15-year-olds face felony charges of armed violence, armed robbery, robbery and aggravated battery of a victim more than 60 years old.

Mueller said he will consider June 23 public defenders' requests that two of them be put on electronic home monitoring.

The victim had been practicing golf at 7:30 a.m. Saturday in Wing Park in Elgin. The three are accused of stealing his clubs and using them to hit him in the face and head. The man was able to get in his car and drive a short distance. He was treated at the scene.

"The state takes these charges very seriously," said Kane County Assistant State's Attorney Debra Conforti, describing the attack as "brutal."

She said one of the defendants has convictions for aggravated battery in 2011 and burglary in 2012. He is on parole from a state juvenile facility. Conforti is asking Mueller to declare him a habitual juvenile offender, which could result in him being sentenced to a state institution until he turns 21.

Conforti told Mueller that the three boys "made the decision to rob him (the victim) of cash when they walked past his car."

A second defendant, she said, looked in the victim's pockets for cash and credit cards while the other two were beating him. He also tried to take away the victim's car keys after the victim managed to get in his car and was trying to start it.

Conforti said the second defendant received a "station adjustment" -- in which he was not charged in court but was judged and disciplined by a police department juvenile officer -- in a battery case in 2013.

Kane County Assistant Public Defender Brenda Covey said that defendant was supposed to start working as a youth counselor at a St. Charles camp this month, and also coached basketball in Chicago. He will be a sophomore at Larkin High School in the fall.

The third defendant, Covey said, was due to start a job Monday at a Wendy's restaurant. He has attended St. Edward Catholic and South Elgin high schools, and will be a sophomore in the fall.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.