Breaking News Bar
updated: 4/26/2014 9:53 PM

Three pets found dead in Elgin house fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

Two dogs and a cat were found dead after a fire Saturday afternoon in a two-story Elgin home, officials said.

The residents of the home on the 900 block of Ripple Brook Lane were attending a funeral at the time of the blaze, Elgin Battalion Chief Tim Michaels said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"That's the tragedy of it," Michaels said. "It was quite emotional for everyone on the scene."

The fire caused about $40,000 in damage and left the house uninhabitable, Michaels said.

A neighbor saw smoke from the home and called 911 about noon.

Elgin crews found on arriving a blaze in the first-floor kitchen, Michaels said.

Firefighters discovered the deceased cat in the first-floor living room, and the two dogs on the second floor.

Investigators are "pretty confident" a malfunctioning microwave started the fire, Michaels said.

Crews put out the blaze within minutes.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here