Two dogs and a cat were found dead after a fire Saturday afternoon in a two-story Elgin home, officials said.
The residents of the home on the 900 block of Ripple Brook Lane were attending a funeral at the time of the blaze, Elgin Battalion Chief Tim Michaels said.
Contact information ( * required )
"That's the tragedy of it," Michaels said. "It was quite emotional for everyone on the scene."
The fire caused about $40,000 in damage and left the house uninhabitable, Michaels said.
A neighbor saw smoke from the home and called 911 about noon.
Elgin crews found on arriving a blaze in the first-floor kitchen, Michaels said.
Firefighters discovered the deceased cat in the first-floor living room, and the two dogs on the second floor.
Investigators are "pretty confident" a malfunctioning microwave started the fire, Michaels said.
Crews put out the blaze within minutes.