A fire caused by welding that ignited insulation did extensive damage Wednesday afternoon to a Des Plaines home, fire officials said.
Des Plaines firefighters responded to the call at about 1:40 p.m. on the 500 block of Westgate Road and found smoke coming from the basement, roof and both floors.
Contact information ( * required )
Fire officials said welding equipment ignited insulation in the lower level that traveled up through the house and into the attic.
The blaze caused about $200,000 in damage.
Mount Prospect, Niles, Glenview, Arlington Heights, Rosemont, Park Ridge and Elk Grove Village assisted Des Plaines.