Breaking News Bar
updated: 3/9/2014 3:04 AM

Girls get prom dresses at Elgin Y event

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Katherine Winston, 16, of Naperville looks over some of the dresses during the annual Cinderella's Closet event Saturday the YWCA in Elgin.

       Katherine Winston, 16, of Naperville looks over some of the dresses during the annual Cinderella's Closet event Saturday the YWCA in Elgin.
    Brian Hill | Staff Photographer

  • Casey Walters, 16, of St. Charles checks out a dress and some earrings during the annual Cinderella's Closet event Saturday the YWCA in Elgin.

       Casey Walters, 16, of St. Charles checks out a dress and some earrings during the annual Cinderella's Closet event Saturday the YWCA in Elgin.
    Brian Hill | Staff Photographer

 
 

Among a sea of outfits, teenage girls from the across the suburbs tried to find the perfect prom dress Saturday during the annual Cinderella's Closet at the YWCA in Elgin.

"I think it's amazing and it's a great opportunity for these girls" said Debbie Walters of St. Charles, who was there with her sixteen-year-old daughter Casey looking for a dress.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

More than 300 girls had the chance to look through some 3,000 dresses to find just the right fit. Dresses were available for a $10 donation. There was no charge for such accessories as jewelry and shoes.

About 40 percent of the dresses were new with the remaining 60 percent only worn once or just slightly worn. The event now in its fifth year brings in people from all over the suburbs.

Katherine Winston, 16, was hoping to find something in dark blue. "It's a very wonderfully calming color that has the potential to be very expressive" said the Naperville teen as she was looking through the racks.

Casey Walters a swimmer and water polo player at St. Charles North, was especially interested to learn that during the year, the dresses are stored in the YWCA's empty pool. She was contemplating taking home a deep burgundy dress with matching earrings and necklace, with shoes to come later.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here