Breaking News Bar
updated: 3/8/2014 8:01 PM

Child playing with lighter sparks Batavia fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
 

A child playing with a lighter sparked a fire Saturday causing about $25,000 in damage to a Batavia apartment, authorities said.

Firefighters arrived about 1 p.m. to find black smoke in the second-floor of a unit in the Green Meadow Apartments on the 1100 block of West Wilson Street.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Investigators determined a young child playing with a lighter set a bed on fire in a second-floor bedroom, Battalion Chief Ed Jancauskas said.

The fire, contained to the bedroom, was brought under control in about 15 minutes, Jancauskas said.

Officials pegged the structural damage at about $20,000 in a news release Saturday. The fire also caused about $5,000 in damage to the contents of the apartment.

No injuries were reported.

Units from Geneva, North Aurora and St. Charles fire departments also responded.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.