Submitted by Albright Theatre
Auditions for "The Curious Savage" by John Patrick will be held at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, March 9 and Monday, March 10, at Albright Theatre, 100 N. Island Ave., Batavia on the third floor of the Batavia government building.
Auditions will consist of cold readings from the script.
Callbacks are optional and may be held at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 11, by invitation only.
Mrs. Savage is a recently widowed millionaire. She wants to use her wealth to establish a fund to help others realize their dreams, but her stepchildren already have plans for her millions. When Mrs. Savage hides the money, her greedy stepchildren commit her to a sanitarium in the hopes that she may "come to her senses." While there, Mrs. Savage befriends a group of misfits who inspire her and help to lead her relatives on a merry chase in pursuit of the missing fortune.
They are casting five men, 20s-late 50s, and six women, 20s-early 60s for:
• Florence Williams -- The elegant "mother" of The Cloisters, with a gentle disposition. (20s-30s)
• Fairy May -- A compulsive liar who is obsessed with having others love and approve of her. (20s)
• Jeffrey -- Handsome, young war veteran, with the dignity of a much older man. (20s-30s)
• Hannibal -- Hannibal is a sweet, cherubic man. He is frightened by the world outside. (30s-40s)
• Mrs. Paddy -- A stout, middle-aged woman of "awesome ferocity." She is hostile and detached from the other residents. (50s-60s)
• Dr. Emmett -- The rational and calm doctor. He acts as the voice of reason in the sanitarium. (40s -- 60s)
• Miss "Willie" Wilhelmina -- Administrative assistant and nurse. She is married to Jeffrey, but pretends not to be because he doesn't remember her. (20s-30s)
• Mrs. Ethel P. Savage -- An eccentric woman who desires to fulfill the dreams of others. Ethel is a crafty but kindhearted woman with a shifted viewpoint of humanity. (50s-60s)
• Titus Savage -- Mrs. Savage's stepson. He is aristocratic, sober and humorless. He is disrespectful to everyone around him, including his brother and sister. (30s-40s)
• Lily Belle -- Stepdaughter of Mrs. Savage. A celebrity heiress, she is arrogant, chic and self-assured, but she has a quick temper and is very materialistic. (30s-40s)
• Samuel -- The youngest stepchild. He has the distinction of being the judge with the most overturned decisions in the U.S. and walks in the shadows of his siblings. (30s-40s)
Additional descriptions of each character can be found at www.albrighttheatre.com/auditions.
Performance dates for "The Curious Savage" are May 2-4, 9-11, 16-17. Rated PG. Call Albright Theatre Company at (630) 406-8838 or visit www.albrighttheatre.com for additional information. Or follow @AlbrightTheatre on Twitter for more updates and information.
The rehearsal schedule will be determined by the directors and is subject to the availability of the confirmed cast and crew. The Albright Theatre Company is a nonprofit organization that is membership driven and relies upon volunteer actors.