Breaking News Bar
updated: 2/23/2014 9:28 AM

Suspected getaway driver in fatal robbery held on $2.5 million bail

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Tremayne Davis

      Tremayne Davis

  • A surveillance photo shows who police believe to be the shooter of Hussein Saghir on Jan. 19 in front of Sam's Tobacco and Food Mart in Bensenville.

       A surveillance photo shows who police believe to be the shooter of Hussein Saghir on Jan. 19 in front of Sam's Tobacco and Food Mart in Bensenville.
    Scott Sanders | Staff Photographer

  • Kenneth Bardlett, 20, of Bellwood, was the first person arrested in the slaying of a Bensenville convenience store clerk. He faces charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery.

      Kenneth Bardlett, 20, of Bellwood, was the first person arrested in the slaying of a Bensenville convenience store clerk. He faces charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery.

 
 

A DuPage County judge set bail at $2.5 million today for a 23-year-old Chicago man charged in connection with the slaying of a Bensenville convenience store clerk during a robbery last month.

Tremayne Davis, of the 1400 block of North Lotus Avenue, faces charges of first-degree murder, attempted armed robbery and obstruction of justice stemming from the fatal shooting Jan. 19 of Hussein Saghir at Sam's Tobacco and Foodmart in Bensenville.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Davis, who authorities described as the getaway driver for two other men involved in the botched holdup, could face life in prison if found guilty of the murder charge. He's scheduled to return to court March 3 for a status hearing and March 17 for arraignment.

Authorities continue to seek a third man they believe fired the bullet that killed Saghir, 36, of Chicago.

"We are on his trail," assistant DuPage County State's Attorney Tim Diamond said Sunday morning at Davis' first court appearance. "He will be brought to justice in short order."

Davis told authorities he was a student at Malcom X College in Chicago, but Diamond said the Chicago man has not been enrolled at the school for some time.

Last week, a DuPage County judge set bail at $2.5 million for Kenneth Bardlett, 20, of Bellwood, on charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery for his alleged role in the slaying.

Diamond, at previous court proceedings, said Saghir and another employee were closing the store at 235 W. Irving Park Road just before 6 p.m. when they were confronted by Bardlett and another man. Saghir refused to re-enter the store, apparently because he wanted to protect his 3-year-old nephew who was inside. After a brief struggle, authorities said Bardlett's accomplice shot and killed Saghir.

Diamond said Bardlett, who has previous convictions for unlawful use of a weapon and reckless conduct, confessed to planning the armed robbery, thinking the men wouldn't get caught because they were outside their neighborhood. He said Bardlett also confirmed he is the second man shown in the surveillance video that captured the armed robbery attempt and eventual shooting.

"It was just not fair the way this whole thing happened," said Hanan Faraj, Saghir's widow. "I just pray they do find these people, just to bring them to justice. It really shattered my life and my family's life."

Bardlett's next two court appearances are scheduled for Feb. 24 and March 10, both at 8:30 a.m., in courtroom 4010.

The attempted armed robbery took place after a Nov. 10 robbery of the store in which cash and cigarettes were stolen. But Hanan Faraj says her husband didn't worry about getting robbed again.

The last homicide in Bensenville took place in 2004 at an apartment complex on George Street. That case remains unsolved.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.