Breaking News Bar
updated: 2/16/2014 12:03 AM

Streamwood carbon monoxide leak sends two to hospital

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald report

Two people were taken to the hospital Saturday night as a precaution after a carbon monoxide leak in a Streamwood town home complex, authorities said.

Firefighters responded about 10 p.m. to a man and woman experiencing symptoms of dizziness and nausea inside a unit on the 3000 block of Kingston Court, Lt. Steve Laker said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

An air monitor showed that the levels of carbon monoxide at 200 to 300 parts per million, Laker said. The odorless, colorless gas can cause unconsciousness at 800 parts per million in a few hours.

The residents were alerted by a carbon monoxide alarm and called 911, Laker said.

A man and a woman were taken to St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates as a precaution, Laker said. A third person, who was not experiencing similar symptoms, refused treatment, Laker said.

Firefighters found a faulty furnace as the source of the leak in a basement in the complex, according to Laker.

Streamwood officials are expected to check the status of repairs to the furnace Sunday.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.