Batavia High evacuated after furnace overheats
- Photos (2)
Batavia High School was briefly evacuated Friday evening after the fire department responded to a report of smoke in the hallway, officials said.
Batavia Fire Chief Chief Randy Deicke said crews were dispatched to the high school, 1201 Main St., after a fire alarm went off between 7:30 and 8 p.m.
"We had an overheated furnace up in the ceiling area," he said. "It overheated and caused some smoke in the building."
When firefighters received the call, he said, "We had a report from somebody inside the building saying that they had smoke in one of the hallways.
A basketball game was going on at the time. It was interrupted when firefighters evacuated the building.
The Batavia Fire Department did not have information on exactly how many people were evacuated, but Deicke said evacuees waited outside while firefighters determined the nature of the problem.
Deicke said the problem was solved by shutting off the power to the furnace, and there is no need for further investigation.
"The unit is shut off," he said. "We told them to have a mechanical guy come out and take a look at it."
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close