Breaking News Bar
posted: 11/19/2013 5:30 AM

Irritated by ticket, then run-around

Success - Article sent! close

One week to the day after I moved into Des Plaines I got a ticket for not having a city sticker, even though I have 45 days to get one.

Filed a review form in person at police HQ, wrote to the mayor's office. A couple of days ago I got a letter from the police HQ that I had to either pay up ($80!) or make an appointment for an administrative hearing.

Order Reprint Print Article
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

That means going back to the police HQ, filling out a form, requesting a hearing at least 14 days before the next one (only one a month) when the date is not published. Called my alderman. Very non-helpful. "Never heard of this" and resented it when I suggested he look into it. Called me back to get the citation number. I said that if merchants in the area knew when I was moving and sent me coupons, etc., and the police had to run my plates to know I lived in Des Plaines when I haven't changed my address with the Secretary of State yet, they should know when I moved.

I also suggested that if all the police have to do is harass new residents perhaps they should look into cutting the force. He didn't like that, either, "Have a good day, lady."

And no response from the Mayor's office. Welcome to Des Plaines! Right -- not to this new resident.

Regina Drahnak

Des Plaines

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.