Breaking News Bar
posted: 9/16/2013 5:00 AM

All workers deserve at least a living wage

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 

I read with interest your Sept. 3 article by Kimberly Pohl. The title "Poverty rising in suburban schools" seemed to be grossly understated. A more realistic and truthful title for this article would have been "Poverty soars in suburban schools."

The table showed West Chicago Elementary District 33 having a poverty rate of 22.6 percent in 2000 and 75.9 percent in 2012. The difference is correctly described as a percentage-point rise of 53.3. Palatine-Schaumburg High School District 211 saw a change from 6 percent to 21 percent, a percentage-point rise of 15 during this same period. This math is correct while misleading the reader as to the real significance of the rise. A poverty rate that rises from 22.6 percent to 75.9 percent could also be described as a rise of 236 percent. The poverty increase in District 211 would be 250 percent.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The increases described in this way are still true while being much more compelling and presenting a truer picture of what is actually happening. This increase in poverty is having a devastating effect on our families and the education of our children. According to Bloomberg, in 2010, the top 1 percent of Americans received 93 percent of the increase in wages. This leaves 7 percent for everyone else.

Employees of fast food restaurants are often paid such low wages that they are eligible for taxpayer subsidized Medicaid and food stamps. Poverty is caused by a lack of money. Those who work should be paid a living wage. They should not be expected to work at poverty wages so that their employers reap huge profits while expecting the government to make up the difference.

The recent Rev. Martin Luther King anniversary celebration left us with this memorable statement. "You can't stay alive at seven twenty-five!"

Karen Wagner

Rolling Meadows

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.