Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/31/2013 8:19 PM

9 taken to hospitals in Elgin formaldehyde gas incident

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.

       Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.
    Brian Hill | Staff Photographer

  • Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.

      Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.
    Brian Hill | Staff Photographer

  • Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.

      Elgin police and fire officials responded just after 10 a.m. to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., Elgin, for reports of workers breathing in formaldehyde gas at the factory. A plastics injection molding machine got too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, fire officials said.
    Brian Hill | Staff Photographer

 

Nine people were taken to hospitals Saturday morning after breathing in formaldehyde gas at an Elgin factory.

Three others were examined at the scene and refused medical treatment.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Elgin Fire Capt. Robb Cagann said they were called to Capsonic, 460 S. Second St., at 10:07 a.m.

A plastics injection molding machine had become too hot, and the pellets fed into it burned instead of melting, Cagann said.

Workers complained of burning eyes and difficulty breathing, he said. Some also said they were nauseated.

They were taken to Sherman and Presence St. Joseph hospital in Elgin and St. Alexius Medical Center in Hoffman Estates.

The South Elgin Fire Department's hazardous-materials team responded as well, checking the air quality inside the building. Capsonic maintenance workers were allowed in to clean the machine, and the company got the OK to resume work at 12:16 p.m.

Capsonic makes parts primarily for automotive use.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.