Breaking News Bar
updated: 8/6/2013 1:45 PM

Man pleads not guilty in thefts to fund Disney trips

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Alexander Pera

      Alexander Pera

 
 

The former manager of a Lincolnshire restaurant accused of stealing more than $50,000 to fund numerous trips to Disney World pleaded not guilty to charges of aggravated identity theft in Lake County court Tuesday.

Alexander N. Pera, 26, of the 3800 block of North Ottawa Avenue in Chicago, has also been charged with three counts of identity theft and two counts of theft after police claimed he targeted employees and patrons at Eddie Merlot's Restaurant.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Pera has been held in lieu of $500,000 bail in Lake County jail since his July 2 arrest.

Defense attorney Adrian Gosch did not comment following the brief arraignment hearing.

Lincolnshire police were contacted in May by the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orlando, Fla., claiming Pera -- while working as a manager at Eddie Merlot's -- had made more than 15 different Walt Disney World Resort reservations and two trips aboard the Disney Cruise Line in less than one year.

Pera had been providing false information to airlines and the Disney Company for his travel plans, and used fictitious names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses to book reservations, authorities said.

Pera paid for the trips using fraudulently obtained gift cards and prepaid credit cards, police said. They added Pera acquired those gift cards using stolen credit card numbers and cash linked to diners and former employees at Eddie Merlot's, authorities said.

Authorities said Pera would mostly target business customers with corporate credit accounts cards dining at the restaurant. More than 50 victims were uncovered and losses totaled more than $50,000, officials said.

The management at Eddie Merlot's has cooperated with the investigation, officials said. A manager at the restaurant contacted Tuesday said Pera was no longer an employee.

Pera is due back in court Aug. 20. His trial is scheduled to begin Sept. 3, but that date is expected to be pushed back.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.