Breaking News Bar
updated: 7/17/2013 4:56 PM

Lombard man sues restaurant after E. coli outbreak

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Los Burritos Mexicanos in Lombard was at the center of an E. coli investigation after an outbreak last month. The restaurant on East St. Charles Road has since reopened.

       Los Burritos Mexicanos in Lombard was at the center of an E. coli investigation after an outbreak last month. The restaurant on East St. Charles Road has since reopened.
    Michelle Jay | Staff Photographer

 

Another lawsuit has been filed against a Lombard restaurant that was at the center of an E. coli investigation after an outbreak in June.

Quinten Hayley, 20, of Lombard, lodged the complaint in DuPage County court Tuesday against Los Burritos Mexicanos, 1015 E. St. Charles Road.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Hayley alleges he fell ill with "severe" gastrointestinal symptoms after dining at the eatery on June 7. Four days later, he was admitted to an emergency room, where doctors confirmed the presence of an E. coli infection.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, accuses Los Burritos Mexicanos of selling contaminated food, failing to maintain sanitary conditions, and failing to adequately train and supervise employees.

Last month, a Lombard woman filed similar allegations against the eatery.

Public health officials closed Los Burritos Mexicanos on June 14 after confirming four cases of E. coli. As of Wednesday, there had been 31 confirmed or probable cases reported, according to Jason Gerwig of the DuPage County Health Department.

Gerwig said the investigation is ongoing and no cause has been determined.

The restaurant was allowed to reopen in early July after it threw out all of its food, including canned goods, and received additional staff training and testing, he said.

"We did a thorough inspection to make sure they had a clean bill of health before they could reopen," Gerwig said.

A manager at Los Burritos Mexicanos was not immediately available for comment Wednesday. The Hayley suit is due in court Oct. 16.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here