Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/15/2013 5:39 AM

Daley nephew's manslaughter trial could start next year

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Richard Vanecko

      Richard Vanecko

  • David Koschman

      David Koschman

 
 

McHenry County Judge Maureen McIntyre told attorneys Tuesday to "keep January and February open," but otherwise gave no indication of when the involuntary manslaughter trial could begin for Richard Vanecko, nephew of former Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley.

The charges stem from an altercation between Vanecko and Mount Prospect resident David Koschman outside a Chicago bar during the early morning hours of April 25, 2004.

Authorities say Vanecko, 38, punched the Harper College student in the face. Koschman, 21, fell to the ground, hitting his head. He died of injuries to his brain 11 days later.

Two police investigations ensued, but authorities never filed charges against Vanecko.

Koschman family members say the defendant's relationship to Daley compromised the investigation, which they claim involved police cover-ups.

In April 2012, Cook County Judge Michael Toomin ordered special prosecutor Dan K. Webb to look into Koschman's death. In December, a Cook County grand jury indicted Vanecko, who now lives in California and is currently free on a $100,000 bond.

The Illinois Supreme Court assigned the case to McIntyre after Circuit Court of Cook County Chief Judge Timothy C. Evans requested a judge outside Cook County be assigned the case to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

"It's time to move forward for all people concerned," said McIntyre, who asked prosecutor Stephen Senderowitz when the state would turn over to Vanecko's attorneys the remainder of the voluminous discovery, previously estimated at more than 250,000 pages.

July, said Senderowitz, who informed the court that the remaining information "relates to an ongoing grand jury investigation" into how authorities investigated Koschman's death. That inquiry should conclude in July, Senderowitz said.

Vanecko's attorney Marc Martin requested 60 days to review the material and indicated he would likely file pretrial motions early next year.

If convicted, Vanecko could face from two to five years in prison. Probation is also an option.

He next appears in court on Sept. 24.

Share

Interested in reusing this article?

Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.

The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.

Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *

Message (optional)

Success - Reprint request sent Click to close
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here