• Chicago-area writer Amy Timberlake celebrates the release of her new novel for children, "One Came Home," with a reading and book-signing event at 4:30 p.m. Friday, April 26, at The Book Stall, 811 Elm St., Winnetka. (847) 446-8880 or the bookstall.com.
• Local author Susanna Calkins discusses and signs copies of her book "Murder at Rosamund's" at 7 p.m. Friday, April 26, at Barnes and Noble -- Old Orchard, 55 Old Orchard Center, Skokie. (847) 676-2230 or barnesandnoble.com.
Contact information ( * required )
• Chicago-area author Tamara Will Wissinger, author of "Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse," leads a poetry workshop for ages 9-12 at 3 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at The Book Stall, 811 Elm St., Winnetka. Wissinger will autograph copies of her book for participants and for the general public beginning at 4 p.m. For information or to register a child for the program, call (847) 446-8880. Visit thebookstall.com.
• "Decadence" author Eric Jerome Dickey reads from and signs copies of his new book at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 28, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersons bookshop.com.
• Meet author Justina Chen as she reads from and signs copies of her third young adult novel, "Return to Me," at 7 p.m. Monday, April 29, at Anderson's Bookshop at 5112 Main St., Downers Grove. (630) 963-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• Fiction writer Joshua Henkin discusses his latest novel, "The World Without You," at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 1, at the Cook Park Library, 413 N. Milwaukee Ave., Libertyville. Registration is required for the free event, which is co-sponsored by the Lake Forest Bookstore. To register, call (847) 362-2330 or go to webres.cooklib.org.
• Award-winning blogger and author Jill Smokler reads from and signs copies of her book "Motherhood Comes Naturally (and other vicious lies)" at 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 1, at Anderson's Bookshop at 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville (630) 355-2665 or andersons bookshop.com.
• Olympic gold-medal winning U.S. gymnast Gabrielle Douglas signs copies of her new memoir, "Raising the Bar," from 6:30 to 8:15 p.m. Thursday, May 2, at Barnes and Noble, 55 Old Orchard Center, Skokie. Free numbered signing tickets will be distributed beginning at 9 a.m. Thursday, May 2, to customers presenting a copy of "Raising the Bar" with proof of purchase from Barnes and Noble at Old Orchard. One ticket per customer. (847) 676-2230 or barnesandnoble.com.
-- Laura Stewart