Crystal Lake man died of smoke inhalation, coroner says
A Crystal Lake man found dead inside his burning home Sunday morning died of smoke inhalation caused by a house fire, according to the McHenry County coroner's office.
Dunn Mizell, 49, was located at 7:33 a.m. on the floor inside his residence. He was the home's only occupant, police said.
The victim's identity was released by the coroner's office early Monday morning, and an autopsy was conducted Monday afternoon. According to police, a McHenry County sheriff's deputy first arrived at the scene and discovered what was described as "suspicious circumstances." Crystal Lake officers arrived and observed from outside a man lying on the floor and smoke inside the house, police said.
Officers went inside in an attempt to remove the man but were unable to reach him because of heat and dense smoke, police said. Firefighters responding to the scene were able to get inside the home, take the man out and attempt to revive him. He later was pronounced dead at Centegra Hospital in Woodstock.
Mizell's carbon monoxide levels were drawn after arriving at the hospital and were elevated, according to the coroner's office.
A fire found in the basement of the home was quickly extinguished by firefighters. There were no other injuries, officials said. Toxicology results are pending, and police and fire officials continue to investigate the death.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close