Breaking News Bar
posted: 3/25/2013 6:43 PM

Police: Elgin man caught with more than a kilo of cocaine

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Carlos Perez-Garcia

      Carlos Perez-Garcia

 
 

Carpentersville police arrested a 47-year-old man over the weekend and found more than a kilogram of cocaine in a hidden compartment in a sport utility vehicle that he was riding in, authorities said.

Carlos Perez-Garcia, of the 400 block of Dwight Avenue, Elgin, was charged with felony possession with intent to deliver more than 900 grams of cocaine after a traffic stop Saturday, according to court records.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

He was being held on $1.5 million bail, meaning he must post $150,000 to be free while his case is pending. If released, prosecutors have entered a petition that requires Perez-Garcia to prove that bond money came from legitimate sources, records show.

Perez-Garcia is next due in court April 11 and faces six to 30 years in prison if convicted.

Carpentersville Police Cmdr. Todd Shaver said authorities pulled over a 2007 Saturn Outlook at about 12:22 p.m. on the 0-99 block of Robin Road.

Shaver said Perez-Garcia had been under investigation and officers found 1,160 grams of cocaine in a "hidden compartment" in the rear of the SUV, Shaver said.

"They had a search warrant (from a judge) ahead of time," Shaver said.

Shaver said the drugs have an estimated street value of about $100,000.

According to court records, Perez-Garcia does not have any previous felony arrests in Kane County.

He was arrested in January 2010 by Sleepy Hollow police and charged with misdemeanor battery, but the charge was later dropped, records show.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.