Elgin residents displaced after basement fire
The residents of an Elgin home were displaced after a Wednesday morning basement fire, officials said.
Elgin Fire Department Battalion Chief Bryan McMahan said the fire began around 10:07 a.m. on the 1000 block of Bellevue Avenue. He said the residents evacuated the house, which had light smoke coming from it, before firefighters arrived, but they needed help rescuing a cat.
Officials determined the fire started at an electric panel in the basement, McMahan said, and ComEd was called to disable and pull the meter. The city's code enforcement department red-tagged the home, resulting in the residents' displacement, he said.
McMahan said no injuries were reported. He did not know when the fire was extinguished or the estimated cost of damages, but he said the fire was contained to the basement area.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close