Electrical malfunctions are being blame for a pair of blazes Des Plaines firefighters battled nearly simultaneously Saturday evening.
Firefighters called to the International Paper factory at 100 E. Oakton St. shortly before 5:25 p.m. found a fire in a paper-rolling machine that was caused by a short circuit. A sprinkler system contained the fire and crews were able to extinguish it quickly. Damages were estimated at $2,000.
Contact information ( * required )
About the same time, the department responded to a call reporting smoke coming from the eaves of a two-unit residential structure at 1634 Howard St. Crews found an attic fire that also was sparked by a short circuit.
No injuries were reported in either fire, but the residents of both units involved in the Howard Street fire were displaced. The loss in that fire was estimated to be about $43,000.
The Des Plaines Fire Department was assisted by Elk Grove Village, Elk Grove Township, Rosemont, North Maine, Glenview, Wheeling and Arlington Heights fire crews.