Breaking News Bar
updated: 1/28/2013 12:24 PM

Dog's grab for pizza may have started S. Elgin fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • South Elgin firefighters remove some of the burned contents Monday from a home on the 900 block of Kane Street in South Elgin.

       South Elgin firefighters remove some of the burned contents Monday from a home on the 900 block of Kane Street in South Elgin.
    Christopher Hankins | Staff Photographer

  • Two South Elgin firefighters bring a hose line out of the home Monday after helping to extinguish a fire on the 900 block of Kane Street.

       Two South Elgin firefighters bring a hose line out of the home Monday after helping to extinguish a fire on the 900 block of Kane Street.
    Christopher Hankins | Staff Photographer

 
By Christopher Hankins
chankins@dailyherald.com

A dog jumping for a pizza box on the stove may have led to a Monday morning kitchen fire that left a South Elgin family with heavy damage to their duplex home.

The fire, which started around 9 a.m. on the 900 block of Kane Street, is believed to have been caused by one of the large dogs living there. The dog jumped up for a pizza box that was on the stove, knocking the burner switch into the "on" position, said South Elgin and Countryside Fire Protection District Chief Joe Cluchey.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

"Nobody was home so it extended up to the cabinets and into the kitchen," Cluchey said.

Once they arrived on the scene, firefighters were able to get both dogs out of the residence and contain the fire to that portion of the home, although smoke damage was more widespread.

Cluchey said approximately $65,000 in damage was done to the structure, and another $35,000 to the contents.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here