Eight people submitted paperwork to run for three seats on the Geneva school board as filing for municipal elections in April began Monday. Seats in most towns and all townships and school, community college, library and park districts are up for election. The filing period ends at 5 p.m. Dec. 26.
• Batavia 4th Ward Alderman Jim Volk will face a challenge, as Jamie Saam also filed Monday for the seat. Nick Cerone and Ron Rechenmacher put in their petitions for 6th Ward alderman, Steve Vasilion is seeking the 5th Ward seat, and Martin Callahan filed for the 2nd Ward seat.
• In Geneva, Bob McQuillan and Kevin Burns filed for the mayoral race. Burns' paperwork was filed by a friend, Aimee Bychowski, because Burns was at a hospital for a relative's surgery.
Burns' name will be first on the ballot; it was determined by rolls of a die.
Zachary Ploppert also won the first spot on the ballot for 1st Ward alderman. Michael Bruno also filed or the position.
Aldermen Richard Marks, Ralph Dantino and Dawn Vogelsberg filed for re-election to their 2nd, 4th and 3rd Ward seats, respectively. Marks is seeking the 4-year term; a 2-year term is available, due to the December 2011 resignation of Bob Piper. Alderman Ron Singer filed for the 4th Ward.
Treasurer Patrick McQueeny also filed or re-election.
• In St. Charles, Jotham Stein, Alderman Ray Rogina and John Rabchuk filed for election as mayor. Alderman Clifford Carrignan filed for his 2nd Ward seat, as did Arthur J. Lemke, a former alderman. Former Alderman Ronald Silkaitis filed for the 1st Ward, Mario J. Van Der Heyden filed for the 3rd Ward, Alderman Jo Krieger filed for the 4th Ward, Kimberly Malay and Alderman Maureen Lewis filed or the 5th Ward. A ballot position lottery will be conducted within five days after Dec. 26.
• Sugar Grove Village President Sean Michels and Trustee Kevin Geary filed petitions for the presidency Monday morning. Gayle Deja-Schultz, Stephanie Landorf, Trustee Robert Bohler and Trustee Rick Montalto filed for the three open trustee positions.
• Elburn President Dave Anderson filed for re-election. So did Trustee Ken Anderson (no relation). Patricia Schuman also filed for a trustee spot.
• People who filed Monday morning for Geneva school board were incumbents Bill Wilson and Mark Grosso, plus Fred Dresser, Jeffrey K. DiOrio, Robert L. Cabeen, Jay Moffatt, Daniel J. Garrett and David J. Lamb. Five people filed simultaneously, so a position lottery will be conducted at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.
• There are four positions open on the St. Charles school board. Five people filed for them: incumbents Jim Gaffney, Corinne Pierog, Steve Spurling and Mike Vyzral, and Jim Conro.
• Batavia Library Board President Douglas Sullivan submitted his petition for re-election.