Breaking News Bar
updated: 12/12/2012 2:40 PM

Huntley trustee fined, sentenced to supervision for role in feud

Success - Article sent! close
  • Nick Hanson

    Nick Hanson


A Huntley trustee has been reprimanded for his part in a feud with a local bar owner that the trustee says involved a woman.

Nick Hanson pleaded guilty to attempted disorderly conduct and was sentenced Tuesday to a year of supervision and a $50 fine.

Hanson, 33, was originally charged with criminal trespass to property and harassment through an electronic communication device -- Class B misdemeanors punishable by up to six months in prison or up to two years probation.

Hanson had been barred from the Parkside Pub in Huntley and from texting Jeff Lovell, one of the pub's owners. The trustee was arrested in April on allegations that violated both bans.

In exchange for Hanson's guilty plea on the lesser charge, the state dropped his harassment charge and amended his criminal trespass charge to attempted disorderly conduct. He was also ordered to stay away from the pub, the home of the annual Turkey Testicle Festival.

Hanson said he's ready to put the entire episode behind him.

"Instead of spending $10,000-plus and countless hours defending myself in a jury trial, I decided to pay a $50 fine and move on," Hanson said. "I feel concentrating my time and efforts serving the community in which I live and love is more important."

The first-term trustee described the case as the result of a personal vendetta that Lovell has against him. The men had been dating the same woman, possibly at the same time, according to Hanson.

"His way to feel better about himself was to drag me through the mud," Hanson said of Lovell.

Lovell chose not to comment.

According to police, the drama began Dec. 10, 2011, with a call from Hanson, saying Lovell was near his house and sending harassing text messages to him. Police found both men had been texting each other and told them both to stop and to stay away from each other.

On Feb. 12, Lovell told police Hanson was texting him and police again warned them to avoid each. On March 29, Hanson went into the bar and left after its other owner told him to leave.

On April 3, Hanson returned to the pub and the bartender told him to leave. Hanson left after about 30 minutes and Lovell called police. Hanson was arrested at his home, but sent a final text to Lovell before officers arrived, police said.

Hanson said he intends to serve the rest of his term on the village board with honor. He also continues to proclaim his innocence.

"I really didn't do anything wrong," Hanson said.

Article Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.