• "Food Network" chef and author Ina Garten signs copies of her book, "Barefoot Contessa: Foolproof Recipes You Can Trust," at noon Friday, Nov. 2, at Barnes and Noble -- Old Orchard, 55 Old Orchard Center, Skokie. Numbered tickets for the signing line will be given out, beginning at 9 a.m. Friday, to customers with copies of the book and a proof of purchase from Barnes and Noble or barnesandnoble.com. Call (847) 676-2230 or visit barnesandnoble.com.
• New York Times best-selling author Jennifer Chiaverini, known for her "Elm Creek Quilts" series, reads from and signs copies of her book, "The Giving Quilt," at 7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 2, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
Contact information ( * required )
• "The Evil Eye" author Helen Macie Osterman discusses and signs copies of her book at 1 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4, at Centuries and Sleuths Bookstore, 7419 W. Madison St., Forest Park. (708) 771-7243 or centuriesandsleuths.com.
• Guests are invited to the Lady Jane's Salon bimonthly reading series for romantic fiction at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 6, at Le Chocolat du Bouchard, 2nd floor, 129 S. Washington St., Naperville. Featured authors Julie Ann Walker ("Rev It Up"), Hanna Martine ("A Taste of Ice" and "The Elementals Book 2"), Hope Tarr ("Operation Cinderella") and Jade Lee ("Wedded in Scandal") will read excerpts from their novels. Admission is $5 or the donation of a gently used paperback romance novel. All proceeds will go to the Celebrate Differences organization, a not-for-profit group that supports individuals with disabilities. For information or to RSVP for the event, visit ladyjanessalonnaperville.com.
• "Ranger's Apprentice" author John Flanagan reads from and signs copies of "The Hunters," the third book in his "The Brotherband Chronicles" series for middle readers, at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• "In Need of a Good Wife" author Kelly O'Connor McNees discusses and signs copies of her book at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7, at The Book Stall at Chestnut Court, 811 Elm St., Winnetka. (847) 446-8880 or thebookstall.com.
• Author Mark. A. Viney discusses his new book, "United States Cavalry Peacekeepers in Bosnia: An Inside Account of Operation Joint Endeavor, 1996," at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 7, at the First Division Museum at Cantigny Park, 1S151 Winfield Road, Wheaton. A book signing follows the presentation. Copies of the book will be available for purchase at the event. Free admission. (630) 260-8227 or firstdivisionmuseum.org.
• Author J. Patrick Lewis and illustrator Matt Cordell read from and sign copies of their book, "If You Were a Chocolate Mustache," at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, at Anderson's Two Doors East, 111 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.
• R.L. Stine, The New York Times best-selling author of the "Goosebumps" and "Fear Street" series, reads from and signs copies of his new horror novel, "Red Rain," at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 8, at Anderson's Bookshop, 123 W. Jefferson Ave., Naperville. (630) 355-2665 or andersonsbookshop.com.