Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/29/2012 10:33 PM

Fireplace ashes spark blaze in Elgin

hello
Success - Article sent! close
 
Daily Herald staff report

A fire that broke out Saturday morning in Elgin caused about $45,000 worth of structural damage to an attached garage on the 100 block of Westgate Drive.

Elgin firefighters got to the scene at 11:38 a.m. and worked for about an hour to extinguish the blaze, acting Battalion Chief Robb Cagann said.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

The cause was determined to be improperly discarded fireplace ashes, Cagann said.

Though the damage was largely contained to the garage, the house was declared uninhabitable until Elgin code enforcement officers examine the property on Monday.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.