Any way you slice it, visitors can expect to have bushels of fun at the 20th Annual Long Grove Apple Festival.
Visitors are invited to explore the many delicious ways to enjoy fall's favorite fruit -- from live music and entertainment to apple pies, apple cider doughnuts, caramel apple lattes, apple martinis and more.
If you goLong Grove's 20th Annual Apple Festival
When: Begins at 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 28; ends 6 p.m. Sept. 30
Where: Old McHenry Road and Robert Parker Coffin Road
Cost: Adults $5, children under 12 free; admission fee includes $5 holiday gift certificate to any store in Long Grove, redeemable Oct. 1-Dec. 23
Information:visitlonggrove.com, or call the Long Grove Visitor's Center at (847) 634-0888
Local restaurants and specialty shops will carry a wide range of apple-inspired treats, while local farmers will have baskets full of a variety of tree-ripened apples. Merchants will offer a variety of specials.
Visitors can relax and enjoy Long Grove's outdoor ambience, many activities for the whole family, including an apple doughnut-eating contest at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, shopping, dining and live music staged throughout the historic village.
Musical acts including folk, bluegrass, country, rock and jazz, will entertain crowds at stages centered around Fountain Square, The Covered Bridge and Towner Green through the three-day weekend in downtown Long Grove.
"Long Grove comes together to celebrate our beloved harvest of apples and community ties with the Apple Festival, including two decades of memories. This year, it will be bigger and better than ever," says Rachel Perkal, president of the Long Grove Business and Community Partners Organization. "In addition to all of the strolling street performers, musicians and entertainment, our local shops and restaurants also mark the Apple Festival as a new harvest of autumn-inspired merchandise and specials."
Saturday and Sunday: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Caricatures by Shiroda; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mr. Krist Facepainter
Sunday: 12-1-2-3 p.m. Kristinas-Studio-of-Dance.com tap
Here are some of the merchants' apple festival specials:
• The Village Tavern will be featuring its Applewood Bacon Burger and Chicken Sandwich, Waldorf salad, Taffy Apple Carmel Beer Mug Sundae, Apple Cinnamon Ice cream and Sundaes, and Apple Pie. Try a variety of Apple Martini's from Green Apple, Carmel Apple, Apple Pie and more.
• Trio Boutique celebrates Apple Season by offering a 10 percent discount on qualifying purchases to any customer wearing apple red throughout the Apple Fest weekend.
• Lucy & Ethel's will be featuring Apple Spice Potpourri matching candles, sachets and the newest addition of matching reed diffusers. Free beaded necklace with a $25 purchase. Free eyeglass case with the purchase of a pair of sunglasses.
• Prairie Smoke Clothing Company celebrates Apple Season by offering a 10 percent discount on qualifying purchases to any customer wearing apple red throughout the Apple Fest weekend.
• The Olive Tap Apple products at The Olive Tap
• Friday from 11 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., noted cookbook author Kelly Donlea will be signing copies of her book "30 Spectacular Salads" and will be offering sample tastes of a featured recipe using The Olive Tap's Apple balsamic vinegar.
• Saturday and Sunday, various apple-oriented products will be available for tasting throughout the day, including an Olive Tap original Quinoa Salad Recipe.
• Apple Pie Spices and a new Apple Pie Spiced Cider Kit with Recipe will be featured in our Spice Locker. Several products, including our Red, Green and Cinnamon Spiced Apple Balsamic Vinegars of Modena, will be on sale throughout the festival.
• Mangel's Gifts Celebrate Apple Festival with Bill Robinson on the Dulcimer all three days; receive a free gift with minimum $50 purchase.
• The Artistic Gardener celebrates Apple Season by offering a 10 percent discount on qualifying purchases to any customer wearing apple red throughout the Apple Fest weekend.
• Neumann's Cigars & More will be offering buy three cigars and get another for a penny.
• Amers Gallery is celebrating with an End of Summer Sale -- 50 percent to 90 percent off specially marked items.
• Country House of Long Grove is featuring special apple themed kitchen items.
• Ma & Pa's Candy will be offering Apple Cider Donuts and Apple Candies.
• Long Grove Café & Restaurant will be featuring Apple Martinis.
• Peppermint Stick will be offering hand-dipped apple slices, apple bread, apple milk shakes and apples by the bushel.
• Pear Tree will be celebrating with a "Fall Cleaning" Sidewalk Sale. Save 50-75 percent off select holiday floral, décor, ornaments and more.
• Beans & Leaves Coffee & Tea Cafe: Enjoy our Baked Apple Pie Coffee, Caramel Apple Lattes, Apple Cider, Caramel Apple Cider, Cider Slushies, & homemade Apple Crostatas.
• Long Grove Popcorn Shoppe will feature Apple Popcorn, Apple Pie Fudge, Apple Cotton Candy, and Apple Flavored Shaved Ices.
• WineSplash will be celebrating with Lynfred Apple Wine, Oktoberfest Wine, and Hallowine, our new apple pumpkin wine. Look for our specialty fall wines inside and outside under our tent.
• Long Grove Soap and Candle will feature Apple scented candles and save with our end-of-season specials.
• Cedar Grill is celebrating with Original Sin Hard Cider and Ace Perry Hard Cider.
• Sweet Whimsy is offering homemade Apple Cider Donuts, Candy Apples, Apple Cider, and Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting.
• Paddy's On The Square is offering two free Long Grove pint glasses with a $50 purchase.
• Dakota Expressions is celebrating with 40 percent off select jewelry items.
• Viking Treasures is featuring Apple Candles and other fall themed items.
• Woodland Grove Gallery celebrates Apple Season by offering a 10 percent discount on qualifying purchases to any customer wearing apple red throughout the Apple Fest weekend.