No one was injured Friday when flames in the fireplace of a two-story house in Sugar Grove grew out of control, authorities said.
Firefighters responded to the home on the 600 block of Wildwood Drive about 7:30 p.m. after flames spread from a living-room fireplace to a wall behind it, Assistant Sugar Grove Fire Chief Wayne Parson said Saturday.
Contact information ( * required )
"(The fire) got up into the wall behind the fireplace, damaging the wall and the brick and the facade in the fireplace," he said. "There was no structural damage, fortunately."
Parson said the homeowners were present at the time of the fire, which was ruled an accident. No injuries were reported, and the homeowners were able to return to their home.
On Saturday, firefighters were still tallying up the damage and investigating how the flames spread out of the fireplace.
Sugar Grove firefighters were on the scene about two hours Friday. They were assisted by several area fire departments, including North Aurora, Aurora Township, Oswego and Montgomery.