A Hoffman Estates garage fire caused about $50,000 in damages Tuesday afternoon, according to a news release from the village's fire department.
Firefighters responded to a report of a fire in the 5900 block of Mackinac Lane around 3:01 p.m. Upon arrival, they found a fire producing light smoke in the home's attached garage.
Contact information ( * required )
The owner of the house self evacuated upon the first fire engine's arrival and a search of the home found no other occupants.
The fire was extinguished quickly and no injuries were reported.
A single sprinkler head in the home's laundry room, which is adjacent to the garage, was activated and prevented the fire from spreading into the living area. There was some mild smoke damage throughout the home, but it has been declared livable.
Improper disposal of ignited paper was the cause of the fire, which the fire department determined was accidental in nature.