Fifteen people were sent to area hospitals for treatment after a possible chlorine leak at a health club swimming pool in Warrenville on Friday, authorities said.
Emergency crews were called to the Lifetime Fitness at 28141 Diehl Road just before 6 p.m. for a hazardous materials situation due to a chlorine smell. The facility was evacuated as a precaution, and by 6:30 p.m., the situation was under control, according to Capt. Herb Myers of the Warrenville Fire Protection District.
Contact information ( * required )
Those who felt ill were transported to Central DuPage Hospital, Edward Hospital, Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital and Mercy Medical Center. All injuries were nonlife-threatening, authorities said.
During an initial review, the fitness center's staff did not find any spill or evidence of a leak in the swimming pool area, said Jason Thunstrom, a Lifetime Fitness spokesman.
Fire district officials gave staff the "all clear" to reopen, but the facility remained closed Friday night while the pool's systems were analyzed, Thunstrom said.
The health club, a 24/7 facility, was expected to reopen late Friday.
A total of 10 area fire departments assisted with the emergency response.