Breaking News Bar
updated: 9/12/2012 8:37 PM

Police: Dad threatened, detained South Elgin teen who moved out

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Federico Trevino

      Federico Trevino

 
 

A South Elgin man faces numerous felony charges after authorities say he entered a home and forcibly removed his 18-year-old daughter, who had moved out, and at one point threatened her with a gun, according to police and court records.

Federico Trevino, 51, of the 0-99 block of Diane Court, is charged with two counts of unlawful restraint, four counts of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, domestic battery and aggravated assault in a public place, according to court records.

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

South Elgin Police Sgt. Mike Doty said Trevino was arrested Tuesday night after police began investigating earlier that day after one of the victim's schoolmates requested police do a well-being check in the 0-99 block of Diane Court.

Doty said the teen and witnesses told police that Trevino entered a home on Saratoga Court at 6 p.m. Monday. The teen, who police were told had moved out, was there and Trevino grabbed her by the arm and took her to his car, Doty said.

"Her father came over and forcibly removed her from the home. From there, she was told she couldn't leave," Doty said, adding that Trevino also is accused of hitting her in the shoulder and back. "All we've been told is he walked into the house without being invited in."

Doty said Trevino is accused of pulling out a small-caliber pistol as he drove the teen back home and threatening her with it. Doty said police have entered the gun into evidence.

The victim was taken to St. Joseph Hospital in Elgin on Tuesday where she was treated and released.

Several people witnessed the incident on Monday, but no action was taken until the next day when a classmate told school officials there needed to be a well-being check at the girl's home.

Doty urged residents to call police in the future.

"We'd rather come out and check it out and have it be nothing than a case which has multiple offenses," he said. "(The Kane County State's Attorney's Office) is going to be reviewing all aspects of the case and there could be more charges coming."

Trevino was being held on $100,000 bail, meaning he must post 10 percent to be free while his case is pending. He is next due in court Sept. 19.

If convicted, he faces anywhere from probation to three years in prison.

Share this page
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.