A Waukegan police officer out on patrol who noticed smoke coming from a house early Friday morning helped wake the house's five occupants and get them out, police said.
The fire on an enclosed porch of a house on the 800 block of Cummings Avenue was reported by the officer about 1:10 a.m. The officer and his partner alerted the residents to the blaze before the fire department arrived to extinguish it.
Contact information ( * required )
The cause of fire may have been an unattended cigarette, authorities said. The home also did not have any smoke detectors.