The new trial for a Mundelein woman serving a 30-year sentence for attempting to kill her ex-husband is slated to start Nov. 4.
Sandra D. Rogers, who remains in jail in lieu of $4 million bail, was awarded a new trial in May by Judge John Phillips after he blamed attorneys on both sides for withholding evidence during the nearly 10-year-old case.
Contact information ( * required )
Initially, it looked like both sides would be ready to begin the trial Sept. 24, but an agreement was worked out in the last 24 hours to push back the start of the trial to the first week of November.
In 2003, authorities said Rogers and co-defendant Jonathan McMeekin -- who was dating Rogers' daughter -- went to the Lincolnshire home of Richard Rogers and Angela Gloria and attacked them with a sledgehammer as they slept.
Sandra Rogers, who was in court Wednesday, was investigated and charged by police, but she long maintained her innocence.
McMeekin pleaded guilty to attempted murder, remains imprisoned, but was prepared to testify against Rogers if her case went to trial.
Due to the evidence against her, Rogers accepted a plea deal with prosecutors in 2004 that led to a long prison term on attempted murder charges.
However, Rogers said earlier this year that she was tricked into accepting a plea deal, and asked Phillips to undo the plea.
Philips agreed after it was learned that prosecutors knew a key piece of evidence was proved false, but did not tell defense attorneys about it.
With Rogers' plea tossed out, the original charges against her will be reinstated and the trial will kick off again where the last trial ended.