Downed power line touches fence, sparks fire
A chain-link fence served as a conduit and sparked a small fire on a house's exterior after making contact with a downed power line in Mount Prospect Friday afternoon, authorities said.
The house's gutters and downspout were left charred — but the flames did not spread to the inside — according to Battalion Chief Randy Uidl of the Mount Prospect Fire Department.
Emergency crews were called to the house on the 900 block of Quince Lane at 2:55 p.m. for a report of a downed power line that had caused a small grass fire. About 15 minutes later, the line made contact with the fence, causing a "big flash," and prompting fire officials to upgrade their alarm and call for additional crews, Uidl said.
No injuries were reported, he said.
ComEd crews responded to the scene to shut off the power and repair the line.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close