Lightning sparks gas-fed fire in Lombard
An apparent lightning strike sparked a fire Friday night at a home in an unincorporated area near Lombard, injuring one woman and damaging two homes and two vehicles, authorities said Saturday.
Lightning struck about 10:15 p.m. near a gas meter at a ranch-style house in the 2S500 block of Hope Lane, igniting the house's attached garage and spreading to its attic, said Lombard Fire Battalion Chief Paul DiRienzo.
"It set off a gas-fed fire," DiRienzo said.
The fire damaged two cars in the house's driveway and spread south, melting siding and cracking windows on one other home, he said.
One resident of the home hit by lightning escaped the fire on her own, but was injured. DiRienzo said paramedics transported her to a hospital. No one was home at the other house damaged by the fire.
The fire caused an estimated $300,000 in damage and rendered the home struck by lightning uninhabitable. Crews were on the scene until about 1 a.m. Saturday fighting the fire, which was upgraded to a box alarm, bringing firefighters from several additional towns to help with the response.
- Share Facebook Twitter
Article sent to (required)E-mail
Article sent from (required)E-mail Name
Subject Line (article title)
Message (optional)Success - Article sent Click to close
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.
Contact information ( * required )Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *
Article InformationTitle URL
Message (optional)Success - Reprint request sent Click to close