One person was injured during a fire in Thursday's extreme heat at the Community Thrift Store in East Dundee, according to fire officials.
More than a dozen departments from across the region were called in to help with a fire that, on its own, was not particularly severe, according to East Dundee and Countryside Fire Protection District Chief Steve Schmitendorf.
Schmitendorf said when his department showed up at 900 E. Main St. -- the intersection of routes 25 and 72 -- there was very little flame, just plenty of smoke.
Fire crews received the call at 12:53 p.m. and were able to bring the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
One civilian was injured and taken to Sherman Hospital in stable condition, according to fire officials.
"The reason we had so many resources today is because of the heat," Schmitendorf said. "That's what it was about. It's not because we needed all this apparatus."
West Dundee, Streamwood, South Elgin, Carpentersville, Fox River Grove, Hampshire, Hoffman Estates, Pingree Grove, Palatine and Crystal Lake fire departments were among the responders. A total of 25 agencies provided assistance either at the scene or covering fire stations during the response.
The building manager reported the fire shortly after 1 p.m. as temperatures climbed into the high 90s. More people on the scene meant more frequent breaks for the firefighters working to put the fire out.
Schmitendorf said several employees were in the building at the time. A few firefighters experienced fatigue from the heat and activity but were also doing fine with help from cooling stations including one on a Pace bus.
There was extensive smoke and fire damage to the contents of the business.
The fire started at the front of the building, where much of the water damage will be contained, according to Schmitendorf. Smoke damage spread throughout more of the store but monetary damage estimates were still being calculated Thursday afternoon.
• Daily Herald staff writers Hailey Czarnecki and Paul Biasco contributed to this report