Breaking News Bar
posted: 5/5/2012 1:49 PM

Two dogs die in Hoffman Estates house fire

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Dennis Matus looks at what remains of his home in the 900 block of Basswood in Hoffman Estates Saturday. Matus lost two dogs and most all of his possessions to the blaze.

      Dennis Matus looks at what remains of his home in the 900 block of Basswood in Hoffman Estates Saturday. Matus lost two dogs and most all of his possessions to the blaze.
    BRIAN HILL | Staff Photographer

  • This is the living room in the Hoffman Estates home.

      This is the living room in the Hoffman Estates home.
    BRIAN HILL | Staff Photographer

  • This is the entryway to the Hoffman Estates home.

      This is the entryway to the Hoffman Estates home.
    BRIAN HILL | Staff Photographer

  • This is the view through the wall into the kitchen of the Hoffman Estates home, which firefighters are saying may be the source of the fire.

      This is the view through the wall into the kitchen of the Hoffman Estates home, which firefighters are saying may be the source of the fire.
    BRIAN HILL | Staff Photographer

  • A home in the 900 block of Basswood Street in Hoffman Estates sits boarded up Saturday after a fire late Friday evening.

      A home in the 900 block of Basswood Street in Hoffman Estates sits boarded up Saturday after a fire late Friday evening.
    BRIAN HILL | Staff Photographer

 
 

Dennis Matus lost his two dogs and the Hoffman Estates home he's lived in for 30 years in a fire Friday night in the 900 block of Basswood Street

Matus said he had gone to play hockey around 7 p.m. and returned to find his house completely burned around 9:45 p.m. Firefighters told him that the blaze may have started in the kitchen. The fire went through the roof in the rear of the house and almost everything is a complete loss.

When firefighters arrived about 9 p.m., smoke and fire where seen inside. "The main body of the fire was brought under control quickly," a news release stated.

The news release put the loss to the one-story ranch home at $400,000. Schaumburg and Palatine fire departments assisted in battling the fire.

Captain Mike Hartman would not comment Saturday on the possible cause. "The fire is still under investigation," he said.

The home was found to have smoke detectors, but it is unclear if they were working, the release said. The home was not equipped with a fire sprinkler system.

Matus, who said he raised his family in the house, said he is staying with his son until he can get settled.

Share

Interested in reusing this article?

Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.

The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.

Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Name * Company Telephone * E-mail *

Message (optional)

Success - Reprint request sent Click to close
Comments ()
Guidelines: Keep it civil and on topic; no profanity, vulgarity, slurs or personal attacks. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked. If a comment violates these standards or our terms of service, click the X in the upper right corner of the comment box. To find our more, read our FAQ.
    help here