Breaking News Bar
updated: 5/3/2010 2:50 PM

Walsh's Grayslake campaign staffers call it quits

hello
Success - Article sent! close
  • Joe Walsh

      Joe Walsh

 
 

Disgruntled staff members of congressional candidate Joe Walsh called it quits Sunday, announcing plans to strip Walsh's newly opened Grayslake campaign office of the materials and supplies they'd brought with them in recent weeks.

"We're basically just done," Walsh field director Richard Cape said. "Everyone is walking. We've just had it."

Order Reprint Print Article
 
Interested in reusing this article?
Custom reprints are a powerful and strategic way to share your article with customers, employees and prospects.
The YGS Group provides digital and printed reprint services for Daily Herald. Complete the form to the right and a reprint consultant will contact you to discuss how you can reuse this article.
Need more information about reprints? Visit our Reprints Section for more details.

Contact information ( * required )

Success - request sent close

Cape, Walsh's former campaign manager, said he and fellow field director Ted Livengood are among the 200 volunteers who have left the campaign in recent weeks.

At 6 p.m. Sunday, Cape said, volunteers will "shut down" the 218 Barron Blvd. office, which opened just weeks ago. Cape has termed the event a "campaign kick out" party.

Walsh campaign manager Nick Provenzano said Sunday that he was unaware of the staffers' announcement, and said there were no plans to physically close the Grayslake office.

"We've not heard that from Mr. Cape. ... We're disappointed to hear that he's left the campaign, but we're moving on."

Provenzano, who signed on as campaign director three weeks ago, said Walsh's campaign is undergoing some internal restructuring.

"Clearly there needed to be a reorganization," he said. "There are some people here that feel uncomfortable about restructuring. I'm the head of this campaign now and we're moving forward."

The staffers say Walsh, the Winnetka Republican running in the 8th District, has lied numerous times. Offenses include neglecting during the six-way primary battle to mention that he lost his former home to foreclosure in 2009 and failing to submit a U.S. House financial statement after announcing his candidacy last year.

Walsh also is being sued by a former campaign manager who quit in December and then said the candidate owed him $20,000 for services. The case is pending in Cook County court.

Cape said he has e-mailed Walsh a letter requesting that he withdraw from the race.

The 8th District includes parts of Cook, Lake and McHenry counties. Walsh is running for the seat against incumbent Democrat Melissa Bean of Barrington.

Walsh did not immediately return calls from the Daily Herald seeking comment.

• Daily Herald staff writer Russell Lissau contributed to this report.

Share this page
    help here