Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Skiing
Morton Arboretum perfect setting to try cross-country skiing Mar 3, 2014 8:11 PM
A Batavia couple finds the Morton Arboretum in Lisle an ideal place to try their luck at cross-country skiing. As members of the arboretum, the couple knew they could rent skis, boots and poles at the outdoor museum to take a crack at the sport.
American teen wins Olympic slalom Feb 21, 2014 5:01 PM
American Mikaela Shiffrin won by more than a half-second to become, at 18, the youngest slalom champion in Olympic history. “It’s going to be something that I chalk up as one of my favorite experiences for the rest of my life,” she said. Shiffrin’s gold gave the United States five Alpine medals.
Bode Miller out of slalom after tweaking left knee Feb 19, 2014 11:43 AM
Bode Miller’s Sochi Olympics are over, one race earlier than he had hoped. Given that he’ll be 40 by the time the 2018 Games roll around, the American’s Olympic career might very well be done, too. Miller will skip the last event on the Alpine schedule, the slalom, after tweaking his surgically repaired left knee while finishing 20th in Wednesday’s giant slalom with a two-run time of 2 minutes, 47.82 seconds, more than 2 seconds slower than gold medalist Ted Ligety.
Ligety dominates for gold in Olympic giant slalom Feb 19, 2014 6:59 AM
Ted Ligety won the giant slalom at the Sochi Games with a dominating performance Wednesday, becoming the first American man to win two Olympic gold medals in Alpine skiing. Leading after the first run, Ligety sped down the Rosa Khutor course in a two-leg combined time of 2 minutes, 45.29 seconds.
Women ski jumpers find fight well worth it Feb 14, 2014 6:46 PM
Ski jumping for women makes its Olympic debut after a long road and a relentless fight.
Viletta stuns favorites to win super-combined; Miller finishes fourth Feb 14, 2014 10:31 AM
For Sandro Viletta, it was a stunning Olympic gold. For Ivica Kostelic, it was the same old Olympic silver. Viletta took advantage of a blistering slalom run to beat the favored Kostelic in Friday’s super-combined. Defending champion Bode Miller made a big mistake during his downhill run and finished sixth, while world champion Ted Ligety had a ragged slalom leg and placed 12th.
Olympic thoughts while trying to survive winter Feb 13, 2014 9:52 PM
The good and bad from the Olympics, plus some very random thoughts and more in this week's Spellman's Scorecard.
Illinois can cheer on some local Olympians Feb 7, 2014 5:30 AM
Minus the 10 Blackhawks players on Olympic rosters, here’s a look at the other Olympians on Team USA with Illinois connections.
Women ski jumpers thrilled at Olympic opportunities Jan 26, 2014 6:11 PM
More than 60 skiers took part Sunday in the 109th annual Norge International Ski Jump Tournament in Fox River Grove, but it was the nine women competitors who had extra motivation this year. For the first time, women ski jumpers will be competing for medals at next month’s Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, something long overdue according to some of the competitors at this weekend’s Norge event.
Ski jump competitors, fans flock to Fox River Grove Jan 26, 2014 12:40 AM
Norge Ski Club’s international ski jumping tournament kicked off at noon Saturday with junior jumpers on the smaller hills. Others from around the globe will also compete through Sunday for a chance to represent their respective divisions in Alaska. “Kids competing today also could be on the next official Olympic team,” said Norge spokesman Charlie Sedivec.
Fox River Grove ski tournament takes flight this weekend Jan 21, 2014 3:22 PM
With the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games just two weeks away, winter sports enthusiasts can get into the Olympic spirit at this weekend’s 109th annual Norge Ski Jump Tournament in Fox River Grove. "You get a national Olympic sport right in your own backyard," said Gene Brown, the Norge Ski Club's corresponding secretary. "It can give people a taste of what the athletes have to go through."
Without Vonn, U.S. team needs to find top gear Jan 9, 2014 2:04 PM
Going into Saturday’s World Cup race in Austria, the U.S. women's Alpine team is looking for its first top-10 result of the season in downhill — a sharp contrast to last year, when six American speed skiers reached the podium at least once.
Globe-trotting Lake County ER doc at home for Sochi Olympics Jan 8, 2014 8:01 AM
When Dr. Timur Kouliev of Lake County leaves Monday for his job as a medical coordinator for the 2014 Olympics in Sochi, Russia, he'll be returning to a place where his family vacationed when he was growing up in Moscow. “I stayed with my family in Sochi when I was a child,” remembers Kouliev, 36, who was born in Russia and took summer vacations to the resort city from his family home in Moscow. “We went to the beach.”
US teen Shiffrin eyes yet another slalom record Dec 28, 2013 10:49 AM
Mikaela Shiffrin of the United States celebrates her third place in an alpine ski, women’s World Cup giant slalom, in Lienz, Austria, Saturday, Dec. 28. Next up, she has a chance to end her magnificent year by setting yet another record in Sunday’s final race of 2013.
Vonn optimistic about Sochi despite new setback Dec 21, 2013 3:29 PM
Lindsey Vonn felt her injured right knee give way and for a moment it looked like her chances for another Olympic gold might be in jeopardy. Vonn had another scary run during the World Cup downhill in Val d’Isere, clutching her knee in pain after losing her balance and missing a gate on Saturday. But shortly afterward, she said no new damage had been done to the surgically repaired knee and her plans for the Sochi Olympics were still intact.
U.S. Ski Team: Vonn cleared for downhill training Dec 3, 2013 8:28 PM
LAKE LOUISE, Alberta — Lindsey Vonn was cleared to get back on a World Cup course for downhill training, the latest step as she works to return from a right knee injury and get ready for the Sochi Olympics. Now Vonn — and the rest of the skiing world — will wait to find out whether she’ll actually be racing by the end of this week. The four-time overall World Cup champion and reigning Olympic downhill gold medalist is expected to start in Wednesday’s first official training session at Lake Louise, the U.S. Ski Team said Tuesday. The team added that not until Thursday would a decision be made on whether Vonn will return to competition for the first time since tearing right knee ligaments in a high-speed crash at the world championships last February. The scheduled races at Lake Louise — a site Vonn has dominated in the past, including three-victory sweeps in 2011 and 2012 — are downhills on Friday and Saturday, with a super-G on Sunday. The U.S. Ski Team said Vonn “felt strong” after doing super-G training in her hometown of Vail, Colo., last weekend, and that her surgeon, Dr. Bill Sterett, feels “her knee is stable.” Vonn was working toward a return to racing last week at Beaver Creek, Colo., until wiping out during a training run on Nov. 19, and partially tearing a ligament in her surgically repaired knee. The American told The Associated Press over the weekend that she needs another operation on her knee but is trying to put it off as long as possible in order to be able to ski at the Sochi Games, which begin in a little more than two months. Vonn is three race wins from equaling the World Cup women’s record of 62 held by Austria’s Annemarie Moser-Proell, and she said over the weekend she was planning to travel to Canada for downhill training. Of her 59 career World Cup race victories, 14 have come at Lake Louise in the Canadian Rockies. She is so successful — and comfortable — on this particular slope, she petitioned the International Ski Federation (FIS) in October 2012 to allow her to compete in a men’s World Cup race at Lake Louise. But FIS turned her down. Originally, Tuesday was supposed to be the first day of downhill training, but that was called off because of travel delays from the women’s previous World Cup stop in Colorado.
Happy with rehab, Vonn trains, eyes Canada return Nov 29, 2013 5:04 PM
Lindsey Vonn is energized by her progress in recovering from a knee injury and might be in the starting gate next week in Canada. Vonn spoke with The Associated Press on Friday after three early super-G training runs. This was her first big test since she crashed during training at Copper Mountain last week and partially tore a reconstructed ligament in her right knee.
Mike North video: Tiger better toe the line with Lindsey Vonn Nov 21, 2013 10:18 AM
Lindsey Vonn seems to have Tiger Woods in check and goes everywhere with him, and she is expecting him to attend the Olympics with her. Will she break up with him if he doesn’t?
Wauconda teen among nation’s elite ski jumpers Jun 7, 2013 4:39 PM
Imagine sliding down a ramp at 55 mph then being propelled forward high into the air, everything going quiet as your body almost weightlessly sails along until landing with a thud, your limbs heavy, your body solid again. That’s what ski jumping feels like, said 16-year-old Kevin Bickner of Wauconda, who after thousands of leaps since he was 9 years old is now one of the best young ski jumpers in the nation.
Vonn ahead of schedule after knee surgery Feb 22, 2013 5:22 PM
Lindsey Vonn's right knee is healing quicker than her feelings over a world championship race she says should have been called off.
- 4-year-old boy dies in Bensenville house fire
- Another suburb returns to ComEd, drops alternative supplier
- Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight' is just that
- Dawn Patrol: Boy killed in fire; gentleman's club sued over drowning
- Family of drowned Elk Grove man sues Chicago gentleman's club
- Lake in the Hills standoff ends peacefully
- Former Horizon Farms owners sue Cook County, bank
- Former Lake Co. deputy dies in skydiving accident
- Hampshire star's major-league dream coming true
- Boy with heart defect is Buffalo Grove cop for a day
- Grayslake Central student's body found in Third Lake
- Friends honor Grayslake teen who drowned
- Semi driver in I-55 crash faked logs, authorities say
- Duran Duran suing Glenview-based fan club company
- Warrant issued for Elgin man accused of stabbing wife
- Crash victims remembered for humor, confidence
- Deal reached to save Town Center in Wheeling
- Streamwood house fire starts in dryer
- Editorial: What's really at stake in the furor at COD
- Maddux admits he's nervous for HOF weekend
- Semi driver in I-55 crash faked logs, authorities say
- Let immigrants call White House home
- Administration ineptitude won't end
- Authorities: Driver in quarry deaths admits smoking pot
- Menards gets final approval in Vernon Hills
- 4-year-old boy dies in Bensenville house fire
- Family of drowned Elk Grove man sues Chicago gentleman's club
- Investigations of Metra engineers on the rise for 2014
- Images: Cop for a Day
- Burglars in Des Plaines targeting work vans
- DRIVER - Sound Inc in Naperville, has immediate opening for FT Warehouse Driver/Worker. Duties include deliveries around Chicagoland area, ship-ping, receiving, building maint. Requirements include clean driving record, PC skills, ability to lift 70 lbs., organizational and interpersonal skills. Flexible work hours include early morning deliveries. Warehouse experience preferred. Competitive wage, paid vac/hol, health, 401k. Sound Inc is an EOE and has a drug free work environment. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls (id:4380475) DRIVER - Drivers: Local Des Plaines P&D and Line Haul Openings! Great Home-Time, Pay & Benefits! CDL-A w/X & T, 1yr Exp. Req. (EOE/AA) Old Dominion Freight Line Call Bob Jennings: 1-800-611-6335 (id:4379581) RESIDENCE HALL CUSTODIAN - Residence Hall Custodian Full-Time, Days Positon Summary: Under direct supervision, performs custodial work required for the cleaning and upkeep of buildings in accordance with the aforementioned purpose of the Night Custodial Department. Essential Functions: Performs all custodial duties as assigned in large areas, including trash collection and removal. Sweeps, dust mops, wet mops and scrubs floors, vacuums, shampoos carpets and dusts furniture, cleans windows, glass and mirrors. Possesses ability to fill, carry and lift 5 gallon 40 lb. buckets. Uses equipment including but it not limited to industrial type floor scrubbers, floor strippers, buffers and attachments, wet and dry vacuum cleaners and rug shampooing machines and attachments. Washes and/or cleans interior wall spaces and ceilings working on ladders and scaffolding, as required. Moves commercial size furniture, such as sofas, dressers, students desks, beds and mattresses as directed. Equipment used includes but is not limited to dollies and hand trucks. Cleans and services lavatories, toilet rooms and rest rooms following standard procedures. Maintains adequate stock of custodial supplies in assigned custodial closets. Maintains custodial equipment in good condition and report any needed repairs of equipment or building with written work order. Shovels snow and de-ice steps and walks at building entrances and connecting walkways. Provide own clothing for outdoor work in inclement weather. Equipment used includes but is not limited to shovels and snow blowers. Replaces burned out light bulbs and fluorescent lights. Must demonstrate proper use of ladder and ability to function in somewhat awkward positions and confined spaces. Equipment used includes but is not limited to A-frame ladders. Learns and follows College work procedures relating to duties, particularly as it relates to use of equipment and chemicals. Learn and follow the safety rules and regulations of the College. Prepares set-ups and take-downs for special events as directed, i.e. moving tables, chairs, video equipment, etc. Reads MSD sheets in case of emergency and follow procedures on MSD sheets. Reports items that require repair in buildings and to equipment. Other Duties and Responsibilities: Performs other duties as assigned. Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Employee is subject to both indoor and outdoor environmental conditions (temperatures varying from below 32 degrees to over 90 degrees) for periods of over one hour, subject to hazards such as proximity to moving parts, electrical current, etc., and involves heavy work exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly in order to move objects. Must be able to climb stairs and ladders and lift 50 pounds. Must be able to be fitted with and wear a respirator. Must be willing to work overtime, including weekends, as required. Minimum Qualifications: Willingness to work overtime as needed, including weekends. Willingness to take a leadership role with other custodians or student workers when directed. Ability to work well with students, faculty, staff and the general public. Ability to perform actions of climbing stairs and ladders. Ability to lift 50 lbs. Valid driver's license. Ability to pass a criminal background screening process. Ability to prioritize and organize tasks. Professional appearance. Apply online at: https://elmhurst.simplehire.com Elmhurst College is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce. (id:4379990)
- LEASING AGENT - Leasing agent -Schaumburg Area apt. complex seeks Licensed agent FT. Able to work weekends, be personable, de-tail oriented, know & apply Fair Housing laws. Call 847-891-3090 (id:4380252) COMMUNITY AFFAIRS SPECIALIST - COMMUNITY AFFAIRS SPECIALIST The Forest Preserve District of Kane County is currently accepting applicants for one (1) Community Affairs Specialist Apply online at: http://kaneforest.com/ employment/apply.aspx Application Deadline: 07/28/14. EOE (id:4380084) WAREHOUSE AND DELIVERY - Small retail business needs warehouse-delivery person in N-W suburbs Drive forklift, unload trucks, make deliveries to customers homes Do all related paperwork Must have good organization-communication skills FT M-Sa 847-259-7550 (id:4379893)
- DELIVERY DRIVER - Driver DELIVERY DRIVER Suburban Propane, a nationwide provider of propane & related services, has the following opening in the Crystal Lake, IL area. Delivery Driver HS Diploma or equiv, CDL class A or B w/clean driving record, Hazmat, tanker & air brake endorsements req'd. Ability to work a flexible schedule w/after hours emergency call-outs & prior propane gas delivery exp pref'd. For more information, please visit us at: www.suburbanpropane.jobs Search for job opening ID 8379 As part of our pre-employment hiring process, DOT physicals, background checks and drug screens are performed. Suburban Propane is proud to be an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of Females, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities and Protected Veterans in accordance with all applicable laws. (id:4380082) SECURITY COORDINATOR - JOB FAIR -July 24, 2014!! Gate Safe has immediate openings for FT Security Coordinators w-benefits at O'Hare Airport. Place : Four Points by Sheraton Chicago O'Hare 10249 W. Irving Park Road Schiller Park, IL 60196 Time : 8:00 am to 4:30 pm In order to have a time scheduled for an interview, you need to apply to this job link: http:ch.tbe.taleo.net-CH12-ats-careers-requisition.jsp?org=GATEGOURMETHOURLY and cws=6 and rid=16237 Candidates will be contacted for an interview time. Walk-ins with resumes are welcome! Go to www.gatesafeinc.com for job description and job requirements. EOE Employer (id:4378941) DRIVER - Driver FedEx Freight City & Road Drivers City Driver -Job#401001 (Elmhurst) or #400121 (Bolingbrook) Road Driver -Job#402105 (Aurora), #401161(Elmhurst) or #400124 and #400343 (Bolingbrook) Begin your career with the FedEx Team as a Tractor Trailer Driver and be a part of one of the most well-known and reliable companies in the world. Requirements: At least 21 yrs old Class A CDL with Doubles/ Triples, Haz-Mat and Tank endorsements 1 yr driving exp in the last 36 months Ability to work a flexible schedule Clean MVR Additional reqs are listed on the website below. Comprehensive benefits package offered. Interested candidates apply online at www.FedEx.com/careers; select US, then FedEx Freight and search by appropriate Job #. EOE M/F/D/V (id:4379740)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.