Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Real Estate
Top 10 tips for a super successful garage sale Oct 31, 2014 12:01 AM
Here are some tips I’ve gathered over the years to organize a great yard or garage sale. Create a “holding area” for everything you want to sell weeks in advance, and start placing things in this spot.
Home-value numbers are still upbeat on equity Oct 31, 2014 12:01 AM
It’s official: The equity boom, which has added an estimated $1.6 trillion to the personal net wealth of American homeowners in the past year, has slowed dramatically. It’s not over by any means. It has just lost some of its previous pep.
Inspector sent into darkened Victorian on Halloween eve Oct 31, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. You never do columns that recognize holidays. Even at Christmastime and the 4th of July, your articles are always about property defects, real estate disclosure and home inspections. Now that Halloween is here, how about a spooky house story?
Westgate in neighborhood spotlight Oct 31, 2014 12:01 AM
A few years ago when Lisa Soto was traveling to physical therapy in a medical van, the driver stopped to pick up a woman in the Westgate subdivision. That’s when she discovered the charming neighborhood in Elk Grove Village where she now lives with her husband Pablo and three-year-old son.
No Indian mound means apartments can be built in Schaumburg Oct 30, 2014 11:36 AM
Vacant land along Algonquin Road in Schaumburg — suspected three years ago of being the site of an American Indian mound — might soon become a rare, post-recession residential development containing 192 apartment units.
Lake Barrington planners recommend gas station Oct 31, 2014 12:22 AM
Lake Barrington’s plan commission recommended a controversial Speedway gas station proposal before a large crowd of residents who opposed the plan Thursday evening at village hall. The proposal is to build a 20-pump gas station that would have a 4,608-square-foot convenience store and an automatic car wash and would operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at the intersection of Northwest Highway and Kelsey Road.
Listing of the week Oct 29, 2014 1:25 PM
Thanks to an unexpected move out of state by the new owners, this idyllic cottage, built in 1943 and located overlooking Tower Lake, is back on the market after only a year.
Two new Hoffman restaurants in line for tax breaks Oct 29, 2014 5:30 AM
Hoffman Estates officials are recommending that new Moretti’s and Whiskey River restaurants at the southeast corner of Higgins and Barrington roads be eligible for up to $550,000 in property tax reimbursements from the tax increment finance district in which they’re locating. Neither restaurant has a scheduled opening date.
Townhouse proposal could displace downtown Des Plaines church Oct 28, 2014 4:14 PM
A developer is proposing to build 61 townhouses on the site of a shuttered banquet hall and restaurant in downtown Des Plaines, but members of an existing storefront church are upset they might be displaced as a result. “We feel part of this community and want to stay part of the city of Des Plaines,” said Vern Wons, a member of the Good News Christian Center.
Hoffman Estates extends Sears Centre management contracts Oct 28, 2014 8:56 AM
Pleased with how Philadelphia-based Global Spectrum has turned around the fortunes of the village-owned Sears Centre Arena since 2010, Hoffman Estates trustees Monday recommended a five-year extension to the company’s management agreement.
11 towers, 'whole community' envisioned near Rivers Casino Oct 29, 2014 10:36 AM
An “eco-campus” of office buildings, residential towers, hotels and retail stores is being proposed on the site of an existing office complex across the Tri-State Tollway from Rivers Casino in Des Plaines. Robert Kozonis, owner of O'Hare Lakes, is asking for zoning changes that could one day allow as many as four 10-story office towers, five 11-story residential towers around Lake Peterson, two 9-story hotel towers and four levels of retail below the hotels -- a "whole community."
Route 53 extension: Hopes and concerns of those along the corridor Oct 27, 2014 10:29 AM
The prospect of a Route 53 extension has been part of life in central Lake County for five decades. A new version of the project is on the table, but is it a transportation and economic benefit the region can’t afford to pass by or an expensive dream that will never be built? Those who live and work along the corridor want to know what happens next.
White vinegar can remove deposits, but needs time to work Oct 26, 2014 12:01 AM
Q. Can you tell me how I can remove mineral deposits from rubbed-oil bronze faucets? I have tried salt and vinegar, but I am afraid to leave it on too long.
Bankers buried in lawsuits say new mortgage rules fall short Oct 26, 2014 7:43 AM
Bankers who gathered in Las Vegas to hear Melvin Watt reveal mortgage rule changes said they won’t do enough to expand credit to many Americans shut out of housing. Lenders demand relief from government lawsuits too. “The future of housing in America is on the line,” Bill Cosgrove, chief executive officer of Strongsville, Ohio-based Union Home Mortgage, told thousands of attendees of the Mortgage Bankers Association annual conference.
Navigating the wide world of mortgage overlays Oct 26, 2014 7:45 AM
The word “overlay” in the context of home loans refers to the mortgage approval standards that lenders and their investors place above the guidelines set by Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, the Federal Housing Administration and the Department of Veterans Affairs. While many real estate professionals bemoan the tightened lending standards put in place since the housing crisis, restrictive lending practices are not solely the responsibility of the federal government.
3 ways a regulator plans to make it easier to obtain a mortgage Oct 26, 2014 7:44 AM
This week, the head of the agency that oversees the mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac outlined in broad terms how he plans to make it easier for borrowers on both fronts. Mel Watt, director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency, did not give the exact timing on the initiatives. But most of them are designed to encourage the industry to extend mortgages to a broader swath of borrowers.
A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle Oct 27, 2014 9:36 AM
After 50 years of debate over the future of a Route 53 north extension into Lake County, a make-or-break decision is in the works with a new proposal that hinges on balancing interests involving environmental protection, improved transportation and economic development. “This is our last best chance. We've gotten further with this project than any of the other efforts,” said Lake County Board Chairman Aaron Lawlor.
’Silicon Beach’ brings tech boom to Los Angeles Oct 26, 2014 7:35 AM
In the past few years Google, Microsoft, Facebook, and YouTube have opened offices on the west side of Los Angeles from Santa Monica south to Venice and Playa del Rey. They are joined by hundreds of startups including Hulu, Demand Media and Snapchat. Major Hollywood players like The Walt Disney Co. and Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. have launched startup accelerators to help local tech entrepreneurs. The city of Los Angeles even hired its first chief technology officer, former Qualcomm executive Peter Marx, earlier this year.
Hosting Thanksgiving in your small home Oct 26, 2014 12:01 AM
Before you realize it, we will be preparing our menus for one of America’s best holidays, and you’ll be wondering where everyone is going to sit. There is still time to get everything ready, but today is the time to plan.
Seven area homeowners win ‘Painted Ladies’ contest Oct 26, 2014 6:30 AM
Seven area homeowners have earned top honors in the Chicago’s Finest Painted Ladies & Her Court competition, an exterior painting contest. Elgin homeowners Chris and Rebecca Berry have been named Grand Prize winners.
- Oak Brook woman still learning and teaching at 83
- When smoke clears, Cubs will hunt for free agents
- Spellman's Scorecard: Maddon will be a real treat
- Parties pouring money into 56th District race
- Drawing on friends to bury happy, outgoing 30-year-old
- Newborn's father testifies in mother's murder trial
- Family, friends stunned by death of Libertyville grad
- Sheriff's office denies politics in indictment of former jail guards
- Chico praised for role in Waukegan teachers deal
- Berkshire Partners to buy Portillo's restaurants
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Discipline will be key to Huntley's playoff chances
- Plenty of intrigue surrounds opening round of football playoffs
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets Riverside-Brookfield again
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Scouting this weekend's DuPage County playoff football games
- Tough playoff tests loom for MSL teams, St. Viator
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Can one family save downtown Long Grove?
- Lawsuit: Mom, daughter assaulted by clowns at haunted house
- Family questions response to Elgin man who died
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Sleepy Hollow voters asked to double their taxes
- $1.9 million spent, but Cook court parking fees ditched
- Gene & Georgetti to replace Rosewood in Rosemont?
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- St. Charles North takes 2nd at own invite
- FOOD SERVICE - Food Service Aramark Grayslake H.S. Kitchen Help Wanted EOE, M/F/Disability/Vet Donna 847-986-3360 (id:4389660) IT MANAGER - Part-Time IT Manager experienced with video surveillance and cash register/POS systems. Need to understand Apple, Windows and Android products. Email resume: firstname.lastname@example.org United Cash Register Video Division ph# (708)780-1200 (id:4389084) OFFICE - Amvets seeks person for flex-ible hrs in N & NW suburbs Call from home. Call Diane at 815-609-1852 between 9a-noon for more information (id:4389737)
- POLISHER - Arlington Plating Company seeks a FT experienced metal Polisher. Requires ability to set up polishing wheels, handle small and large metal parts, stand for 8 hours, and work OT. Full-time benefits included. Apply on line at ww.arlingtonplating.com or in person. (id:4389982) SALES DEPARTMENT ASSISTANT - N-W Computer Company seeks energetic, self motivated person for the position of sales assistant Must excel in written and verbal communications, MS Office. Experience in sales of products and services a plus. Excellent work environment with great benefits. E-mail: HR@A-TechInc.com (id:4388043) WAITSTAFF - Wine Bar Servers & Wait Staff Wanted Experienced Only Need Apply Please send resume to: email@example.com or mail to: Ken Siwieck 1111 Willis Ave. Wheeling, IL 60090 We are an equal opportunity employer (id:4389440)
- ARCHITECT SYSTEM - Solution Architect Grant Thornton LLP is seeking a Solution Architect in Chicago, IL with the following requirements: BS in CS, CIS, MIS, Management or a related field and 5 years prior experience. Prior exp. must include: design, develop and implement all parts of an Hyperion Financial Management (HFM) application (EPMA or classic): metadata, lists, rules, security, webforms and reports; develop Excel tools with Smartview and VBA to meet client needs on HFM; design and create dynamic reports with Financial Reporting Studio; implement, maintain and update HFM related tools including FDM, DRM and EPMA. 100% travel required. Must live near a major airport. Please apply at www.gt.com by clicking on the Careers link. (id:4389494) EDUCATION - Education TEACH YOUR PASSION Spring Adjunct Faculty Openings Come share your knowledge and experiences with our students! Located in Palatine, Illinois, Harper College enrolls over 20,000 students of all ages, is committed to diversity and multiculturalism and is dedicated to creating a vibrant learning environment which embodies our institutional core values of integrity, respect, excellence and collaboration. We are seeking applications for the following Spring 2015 Adjunct Faculty positions: View job descriptions and complete our required online application at: https://jobs.harpercollege.edu Credit Classes: Astronomy Chemistry Engineering General Biology Hospitality Mgmt Human Anatomy Clinical: Clinical Supervisor -Certified Nursing Assistant Program Clinical Supervisor -Medical Office Administration Program Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Practical Nursing, Maternity/Pediatrics Clinical Supervisor -Nursing Clinical Supervisor -Nursing, Pediatric/Maternity/ Mental Health Human Physiology Phlebotomy Physical Science (includes Meteorology) Physics Spanish Harper College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply (id:4389089) SECURITY OFFICER - SECURITY OFFICER (DEERFIELD) Security Positions FT/PT Deerfield All Shifts Available Guardsmark, a prestigious national security contractor, is current- ly hiring unarmed officers for both full-time and part-time positions in Deerfield starting at $11.00 per hour. Applicants need a H.S. Diploma or GED, must be 21 years or older, must have clean criminal background and be drug free, and possess a valid driver's license. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health care, free life insurance, matching 401k retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday pay, tuition assistance, free uniforms, and various award programs. If interested, please fax your resume to (630) 571-1156 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org or come to the Guardsmark office in person to fill out an application and have an interview Monday-Friday from 10am-3pm at 800 Enterprise Drive, Suite #107, Oak Brook, IL 60523. No experience necessary. No Phone Calls Please (id:4389782)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.