Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Plainfield
Parents turning to cloth diapers to save money, environment Apr 18, 2014 1:48 PM
Cloth diapers have grown in popularity in recent years as parents are looking for cost-effective, environmentally friendly, and healthier options to diaper their children.
Images: The Week in Pictures Apr 14, 2014 1:01 AM
This edition of The Week in Pictures features images of unpredictable spring weather, a World War II vet finally getting his medals, and the Easter Bunny in a helicopter.
From India to Naperville, CTO aims to keep innovating Apr 9, 2014 8:55 AM
Kukec's People features Sanjib Sahoo of Naperville, who went from humble beginnings in India, to Naperville and Chicago, where he heads technology for TradeMonster.
Suburban tech companies, others on world stage Feb 27, 2014 4:23 PM
Kukec's eBuzz column features sububan tech companies displaying their products and services for the first time in Barcelona, Spain, during the Mobile World Congress. They were part of a delegation of 15 companies hosted by the state.
Illinois sites named to national historic register Feb 14, 2014 4:41 PM
More than two dozen Illinois buildings and downtown districts have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. Twenty-three buildings and 11 historic districts were added to the register in 2013, according to the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. They include everything from a mausoleum in South suburban Beecher and an East. St. Louis hotel to historic districts in Galena and Plainfield and a Chicago furniture factory. Inclusion on the list means properties are deemed worthy of preservation and makes them eligible for financial incentives. “(It) really drives home what a wonderful legacy we enjoy in Illinois,” said Amy Martin, who is the director of the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. “Preserving historic buildings and districts helps communities stay vibrant.” The National Park Service added the sites to the register based on recommendations from the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency. Thousands of Illinois sites, representing each of the state’s 102 counties, are on the register. Preservationists say saving historic sites is important to communities.
Suburban cheer teams take home top prizes Feb 11, 2014 11:42 AM
Suburban cheerleading squads dominated the state championship finals in Bloomington Saturday. Conant High School clinched the coed title, while Neuqua Valley and Buffalo Grove came out as top finishers.
Marmion dominates regional Feb 8, 2014 11:40 PM
Moving up a class for the state wrestling tournaments has been a godsend for Marmion. The defending Class 3A team runners-up, the Cadets were in a league of their own at the Waubonsie Valley individual regional Saturday afternoon in Aurora. Crowning all but one of their 11 championship finalists, the Cadets dominated the largely Aurora and Naperville field by almost 140 points. Waubonsie Valley and Wheaton Warrenville South combined for 13 qualifiers to the Hinsdale Central sectional next week in placing a distant second and third, respectively.
Metea Valley wins 1st UEC swimming crown Feb 8, 2014 10:54 PM
While Metea Valley might not be a brand new high school anymore, there are plenty of firsts still for it to achieve especially athletically. One came Saturday as the boys swimming team won the school’s first-ever Upstate Eight Conference championship at the league meet held at St. Charles North.
A win to remember for West Chicago Feb 8, 2014 10:53 PM
West Chicago wasn’t going to let this girls basketball victory pass without enjoying it.
Keb’ Mo’ goes acoustic for DuPage concert Feb 7, 2014 5:30 AM
A lot can change in 20 years, but inspiration still comes easy for Kevin Moore. “I love music and I love life and I love telling stories,” the Grammy-winning bluesman, better known as Keb’ Mo’, said in a recent interview. Moore’s performance Saturday at College of DuPage catches the renowned singer-songwriter in a reflective mood. This year marks the 20th anniversary of his self-titled debut under the nickname Keb’ Mo’ — a critically acclaimed album that started him on a path to become one of today’s most respected roots musicians.
Suburban cheerleading teams make cut Feb 8, 2014 10:54 AM
The many local teams that journeyed to Bloomington Friday with high hopes in the state cheerleading competition were whittled to a smaller number of finalists in a long day of competition at U.S. Cellular Coliseum. Preliminary results are in for all four divisions, and the competition will resume Saturday morning at 11.
Images: Competitive Cheerleading prelims, DuPage County and Fox Valley Feb 7, 2014 9:35 PM
Images of DuPage County and Fox Valley teams at the IHSA Competitive Cheerleading preliminary round on Friday, February 7 at the U.S. Cellular Coliseum in Bloomington. The finals competition takes place Saturday.
Neuqua Valley slows down Bartlett Feb 7, 2014 11:11 PM
After a win against East Aurora on Thursday, snapping a four-game losing streak, the Bartlett boys basketball team was looking to get back to .500 in Upstate Eight Conference Valley Division play. Unfortunately for the Hawks, another poor shooting night doomed them from the start. Valley leader Neuqua Valley led from start to finish, beating host Bartlett 65-50.
Benet ready for next challenge Feb 6, 2014 7:40 PM
Anyone hoping to follow Benet’s boys basketball team better have a good GPS system. The Redwings have played in every corner of the Chicago area in search of the best competition they can find. The journey comes to a bit of an end on Saturday when they travel to Batavia’s Night of Hoops event to take on state power Stevenson (18-1) and elite junior guard Jalen Brunson. Saturday’s game marks the fifth and final shootout appearance of the season for Benet (13-6), which will enter the postseason among the state’s most battle-tested teams.
Naperville READS brings heroes, villains, athletes to schools Feb 6, 2014 4:53 PM
Superheroes and villains squared off not against each other on Thursday, but against athletes like football players. The battle was far from literal, but it was, in fact, literary, as it took place during a Naperville READS assembly at Longwood Elementary School in Indian Prairie Unit District 204.
Students cheer for books in Naperville READS pep rallies Feb 5, 2014 5:30 PM
Pep rallies about reading came to several Naperville-area elementary schools Tuesday and Wednesday as part of the 13th annual Naperville READS program, which this year is highlighting 12 children’s authors. Students from May Watts and Steck elementary schools in Indian Prairie Unit District 204 heard Wednesday from authors Tom Watson, Jenny Lee and John Kloepfer during a presentation in which students were divided into teams rooting for different books.
Cleve Carney Art Gallery opening at College of DuPage Feb 5, 2014 9:04 PM
Visitors can get a sneak peek Thursday of the new Cleve Carney Art Gallery at the McAninch Arts Center on the College of DuPage's Glen Ellyn campus. The 1,850-square-foot gallery is part of the 14-month, $35 million MAC renovation and opens its doors from noon until 2 p.m. for a preview of its inaugural exhibition, “Selection of Artworks from the Cleve Carney Collection.”
Naperville North answers regional question Feb 5, 2014 11:14 PM
Gymnastics regionals can bring tears of joy and of sorry.Hit your routines and finish in the top five in an event and you qualify for sectionals individually and perhaps also help your team do so. Wobble too much or fall and you might be left wondering, “What could have been?” Naperville North doesn’t have to answer that question, nor did the Huskies shed any tears after they won Wednesday’s Naperville North regional with 138.3 points, finishing comfortably ahead of runner-up Oswego co-op’s 133.975.
Henry toughs out injury, lifts Naperville C. Feb 4, 2014 11:37 PM
Naperville Central senior Vanessa Henry wasn’t going to let an ankle injury get in the way of her final girls gymnastics regional.
Images: Daily Herald prep photos of the week Feb 4, 2014 1:00 AM
The Daily Herald Prep Photos of the Week gallery includes the best high school sports images by our photographers featuring the best from boys basketball, gymnastics and wrestling.
- Rozner: Cubs' pursuit of Maddon strictly business
- Imrem: Rose, Bulls pass all tests in opener
- Theology student denies soliciting child
- No school in Waukegan Thursday
- 1,700 pounds of marijuana recovered from Elk Grove warehouse
- Durbin, Oberweis see red over green issues
- Cambridge scholar from Barrington focuses on solving global poverty
- Miles: Cubs owe Renteria a quick answer
- Lake Villa rescue crews recover body in Fox Lake
- Vernon Hills man charged in sexual exploitation case
- Football playoffs: Who's up, who's out, proposed changes
- Man facing rape charges dead in apparent suicide
- Updated: IHSA to look at sweeping changes to football system
- Football playoffs: First round pairings/game days and times
- Like it or not, Glenbard South gets R-B again
- Des Plaines complex could have 11 tall towers
- Brainerd Building demolition could start Monday
- Suburban police no longer feel 'helpless' against heroin
- Editorial: Carpentersville's unconscionable refusal to explain
- Townhouses could displace Des Plaines church
- POWER UNIT BUILDER - Hydraulic lift manufacturer in St. Charles, Illinois has an immediate full time opening for a panel-power unit builder. Candidate must have extensive electrical, electronic and hydraulic experience to layout and build control panels and power units from Cad drawings, electrical schematics and hydraulic drawings. Candidate must be well versed in the use of hand and power tools as well as various multimeters and hydraulic valve test equipment. Send resume to fax# (630) 584-9895 Email:email@example.com (id:4389188) MANUFACTURING - Manufacturing100 Jobs! Plastics company in Hanover Park needs Pickers/ Packers, Assemblers, Inspectors and Machine Operators NOW for 12 hour AM and PM shifts. To $8.60/hr 630-620-9800 Walk-ins Welcome 9am-3pm at Staff Force Addison office 190 North Swift Road, Ste X firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389520) COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389252)
- AUTO SALES - Auto Auto Dealership Management Team The Bob Rohrman Auto Group continues to grow. How do we continue to do this? By finding the best people available to join our organization. Are you one of these people? We are currently looking for experienced Managers at our Kia store in Schaumburg. GENERAL MANAGER -We're looking for a "take charge" leader with proven past success to hit the ground running. In this key role you will oversee activities of all dealership departments NEW CAR SALES MANAGER -Responsible for all activities in the New Car Sales division including assisting Sales Consultants in closing sales as needed. USED CAR MANAGER -Manager inventory of 150+ vehicles. Ensure individual and department sales goals and quotas are met. You must be a good closer in this role. This is an outstanding opportunity at a store with great location, a strong product line, and solid sales growth in 2014. We offer one of the industry's best pay plans plus all the BENEFITS including Health, Dental, 401(k), Etc. To set up a confidential interview please e-mail resume to: John Barrett Director of Operations -Chicago Bob Rohrman Auto Group email@example.com (id:4389812) SECRETARIAL - SECRETARIAL /T-Arl. Hts. Knowledge of Microsoft Office. Type 60 wpm. Fax resume to 847-690-9883 or e-mail info@IllinoisSoccerRefereeCommittee.org (id:4389258) EXPERIENCED DRIVER - Elgin metal company is hiring experienced CDL Class A tractor trailer drivers. Local and regional work around Chicago and an 800 mile radius. $21-hr. Call: 847-214-2800 for address to submit job application. (id:4389901)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.