Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Glencoe
Oakton highlights Rumbula massacre, Nazis in fiction Nov 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Jewish Studies at Oakton is making two free presentations that shed light on the massacre of Jews in the Baltics and the use of Nazi figures in literature. . “Rumbula’s Echo: An Incredible Story of Holocaust Survival” at 11 a.m. Thursday, Nov. 21, traces the two-day massacre of more than a third of the Jewish population in Latvia in 1941. Director Mitchell Lieber will be on hand and there will be a question-and-answer session with Sia Hertsberg, a massacre survivor.
Visit Oakton Community College Dec. 3 Nov 19, 2013 12:00 AM
If you’re investigating colleges, check out Oakton from every angle during an upcoming campus visit program. At 6 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 3, take stock of the college’s Des Plaines campus, 1600 E. Golf Road (Room 1625).
‘Port Authority’ examines love, regret through the eyes of Dublin men Nov 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Director William Brown knew what he was doing when he cast Writers Theatre’s Midwest premiere of “Port Authority,” Conor McPherson’s 2001 meditation on love and regret as expressed by three generations of Irish men. Patrick Clear, Rob Fenton and John Gray aren’t just good actors. They’re first-rate storytellers.
Little Rock Nine speaker coming to Oakton Nov 7, 2013 12:00 AM
Terrence Roberts, a member of the Little Rock Nine, will share his account on the front lines of the civil rights battle during an event Tuesday, Nov. 19, at Oakton Community College in Des Plaines. "I wasn’t even born yet,” said Krissie Harris, Oakton’s student life coordinator, who is organizing the speaker event. “I think it’s going to give them (students) a historical perspective. And it ties into some of the things happening now.”
A history of Jewish food in America: Bagels, pastrami and more Oct 26, 2013 12:00 AM
Traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring made from yeasted wheat dough, bagels are especially popular in cities with large Jewish populations. Learn how this tasty treat and other dishes introduced to the United States by Eastern European Jewish immigrants - pastrami, knockwursts and chicken soup with kneidlach and lockshen -
Pianist Doug Montgomery returns to Des Plaines Oct 21, 2013 12:00 AM
Enjoy an evening of contemporary and classical piano music performed by Doug Montgomery Nov. 2 at Oakton’s Footlik Theater, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines.
Casino gives OCC $150,000 for scholarships Oct 20, 2013 12:00 AM
Rivers Casino in Des Plaines is donating $150,000 to Oakton Community College to provide 1-year scholarships for Des Plaines residents. “Rivers Casino ... has been a remarkable partner and a good neighbor, providing strong support for the college,” said OCC President Margaret Lee.
Haunted happenings: 13 frightfully fun Halloween ideas Oct 18, 2013 12:00 AM
You've picked out your pumpkin, decorated your yard and started stocking up on candy. Now, it's time to seek out some seasonal fun. Whether your idea of Halloween is a gore-filled visit to a haunted house or an afternoon at a kid-friendly farm, you're in luck. Check out our 13 ideas for scaring up Halloween fun this month.
Oakton discusses math-music connection Oct 18, 2013 12:00 AM
Learn how math and music are connected at a free lecture at 2 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 22, at Oakton Community College’s Des Plaines campus, 1600 E. Golf Road, Room 1604. David Kung, professor of mathematics at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, speaks on “Harmonious Equations: A Mathematical Exploration of Music” as part of Oakton’s STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) Speaker Series.
Suburban schools aim to increase staff diversity to mirror studentsOct 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Elgin Area School District U-46 has a 45.7 percentage point gap between the portion of minority students and that of minority teachers. It's a similar story in Schaumburg Township Elementary District 54, Naperville Unit District 203, East Aurora Unit District 131, and others. “Moving forward, we must make a concerted effort to reach out to underrepresented group members," a Round Lake Area Unit District 116 official said.
Step forward/step back activity illustrates marginalization Oct 15, 2013 12:00 AM
In one U-46 diversity training exercise, participants were asked to line up and answer a series of questions, such as whether they had ever been denied a bank loan or had been stopped by police, or if someone clutches a purse tighter upon seeing them on the sidewalk. Based on their individual responses, each employee either moved a step back or a step forward.
Oakton workshop focuses on adolescents suffering from depression Oct 13, 2013 12:00 AM
Recent surveys indicate that as many as one in five teens suffers from clinical depression, which can lead to substance abuse and suicidal thoughts or actions. Oakton Community College’s Skokie campus, 7701 North Lincoln Ave., will host a workshop about teen depression 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. Friday, Oct. 18.
Celebrate Halloween at the Chicago Botanic Garden Oct 9, 2013 12:00 AM
Trains, Tricks and Treats weekend celebrates Halloween with seasonal activities in the Model Railroad Garden: Landmarks of America, which will be specially decorated for the occasion. The event will take place at the Chicago Botanic Garden.
Rare catch a good sign for Des Plaines River Oct 2, 2013 12:00 AM
When a student an Oakton Community College student gathered a strange, nearly translucent creature from the Des Plaines River, even his professor wasn’t sure what it was. After doing a little research, they realized it was a Mississippi grass shrimp, a rare find for the Chicago area and the first in Cook County. Its very presence could spell good news for the Des Plaines River.
Voter registration events Tuesday at Oakton, Harper Sep 23, 2013 12:00 AM
The Cook County Clerk’s office is conducting voter registration drives at local colleges on Tuesday as part of National Voter Registration Day. Harper College and Oakton Community College are among the schools participating.
Oakton lecture tackles impact of estrogen Sep 15, 2013 12:00 AM
Discover how gender and sex steroid hormones affect a woman’s career path during a free lecture at 2 p.m., Tuesday, September 24, at Oakton Community College’s Des Plaines campus, 1600, E. Golf Road.
Take a tour of Oakton’s Early Childhood Education Center Sep 13, 2013 12:00 AM
Choosing the right day care setting for your child isn’t easy — but Oakton’s Early Childhood Education Center may have a solution.
OCC's Koehnline Museum focuses on local artists to teach us about ourselvesSep 12, 2013 12:00 AM
The Koehnline Museum of Art at Oakton Community College has made a name for itself as a place where Chicago area and Illinois artists get their due. On exhibit now: The Art of Leon and Sadie Garland, a married pair of artists who produced a large and important body of work.
Best bets: Fox Valley celebrates Mexican culture Sep 10, 2013 12:00 AM
Enjoy the music and dancing of Mexico at Fiestas Patrias Aurora in RiverEdge Park. Take your dog for a walk during Morton Arboretum's Tails on the Trails hike. Or hop in your car for a good cause with the Famous Puzzler suburban road rally, taking off Saturday from Woodfield Mall.
Guitarist Billy McLaughlin to perform at Oakton Sep 7, 2013 12:00 AM
Artist Billy McLaughlin – who overcame incredible medical odds to perform again on stage – kicks off Oakton’s Performing Arts season with a concert of his complex and rhythmic guitar music at 8 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 21, at Studio One, 1600 E. Golf Road, Des Plaines.
- Authorities: Georgia man stole millions from Aon Hewitt
- Bulls' Fredette doesn't disappoint
- Motorola Solutions shrinks, while Zebra grows
- St. Charles aldermen ready to boot firm from downtown
- District 220 parents have plenty to say about class sizes
- Warrenville comedian makes a career in TV commercials
- Review: Ups and downs with Google Glass apps
- Suburban marathoners head to Boston with purpose
- This White Sox start — good and bad — can't last
- Police: Boy brought loaded gun to Aurora school
- Suburbs face worst roadwork season in years
- Report: Walgreen pressured to move HQ to Europe
- Tight wedding ring, other subtle changes pointed to tumor
- Police: Utah mom admitted to killing her 6 babies
- Naperville teacher knows what makes students tick
- St. Charles East students help 2-year-old girl
- Round Lake Beach man dies after crash on Edens
- Addison mom gets 7 years for stabbing young son
- Review: Fire TV device great, but not fully ready
- With $41.4M, 'Captain America' holds off 'Rio 2'
- Obama doing what's best for country
- Report: Walgreen pressured to move HQ to Europe
- Kotowski: Rifle association not truthful about meeting
- DuPage mayors step up push for pension reform
- Amrich campaign supporter could double commission stipend
- Naperville teacher knows what makes students tick
- Closer by committee? Cubs ought to give it a shot
- Mortgage debt forgiveness back on table
- Last call for Mickey Finn's at old location
- Schaumburg's budget boosts roadwork, lowers taxes
- FIRE CHIEF - TAKE A CLOSER LOOK! Webster City, Iowa a North Central Iowa community of 8,000 is accepting applications for the position of Fire Chief. Visit our website at www.webstercity.com for details. E.O.E. (id:4370575) DRIVERS CLASS A B AND C. - Drivers A/B/C DRIVERS WITH FURNITURE MOVING EXPERIENCE CLASS A, B and C : ALL EMPLOYEES ARE DRUG TESTED Please apply in person: SHUR-WAY MOVERS 1943 Industrial Dr Libertyville ? 847-362-2976 (id:4370462) DATA ENTRY - Data Entry/General Office for Wheeling co. Must be early riser -4am start, M-F, FT. Alternate Saturdays also. Fax 847-520-8396 or call 847-520-8300 -Annette. (id:4368201)
- CLERICAL - Clerical Must have good communication skills. General Office duties, computer exp. Fast paced environment. Email resume: email@example.com (id:4370395) CUSTOMER SERVICE - Money Motivated Individuals Bonuses -Benefits -$10/hr Local Multimedia Company Immediate Openings Call for Details 847-741-1200 -NW Suburbs (id:4370717) COUNTERTOP/PREMIUM SURFACE FABRICATOR - Countertop/Premium Surface Fabricator Fabricator in northwest suburbs has immediate positions available in Fabrication and AutoCad Staff. Full benefit package is offered. Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org or apply at: Gerali Custom Design, Inc., 1482 Sheldon Dr., Elgin, IL 60120 (id:4370434)
- MACHINE OPERATOR - MACHINE OPERATOR Steel Co in Addison has immed opening for exp CNC/Plasma Burning Machine & Waterjet Ops. or CNC exp. Use of measuring devices needed. Hiring day and night shifts, good pay & benefits. Call #630-627-2900, email: email@example.com or apply at 145 N. Swift Rd. Addison (id:4370645) MANUFACTURING - Manufacturing1st & 2nd Shifts Maintenance Mechanic $22/hr Machine Operator...To $14/hr 2+ years experience a must. Itasca630-620-9800 (id:4370709) DENTAL ASSISTANT - Our Busy office in Belvidere needs F/T Dental Asst. and Dental Front Desk Person, Experience is Preferred but we can train you if you are a self startrer, fast learner, highly motivated individual with an out going personality. We offer top $$$$, Paid holidays, Paid Vacation, Christmas Bonus and there is a potential for cash Bonus. We take Pride in keeping our patients satisfied, A bigger majority of our patients is Bilingual. Please email your resume to Prodentalpractice@live.com Fax 630-428-2182. (id:4370684)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.