Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Des Plaines
Arlington brothers bring the meatball to new levels Oct 27, 2014 5:00 AM
Kukec's People features Anthony and Michael Ferrazzuolo, brothers who live in Arlington Heights, who recently started The Original Meatball Vault. Locations include the First Midwest Bank Amphitheater in Tniley Park, Alpine Valley, and most recent the French Market in downtown Chicago.
Images: The Week in Pictures Oct 28, 2014 9:14 AM
This edition of The Week in Pictures gallery features Daily Herald staff photos of Miss Illinois, the Vice President on the United States, and zombies, representing about 20 area communities.
Nine polling places changing in Northwest Cook County Oct 27, 2014 6:22 PM
Voters in nine Northwest suburban precincts in Arlington Heights, Des Plaines and Palatine will have a new polling place for the Nov. 4 election, Cook County Clerk David Orr announced Thursday.
Clearbrook Cuisine Curbs Suburban Appetites Oct 27, 2014 7:27 AM
AOIIs “Focus on College” on Nov. 12 in Prospect Heights
Day of the Dead marked in Des Plaines Oct 25, 2014 6:23 PM
If the witches, ghosts and other scary creatures adorning suburban homes in anticipation of Halloween aren’t enough to send a chill down your spine, some kids in Des Plaines on Saturday added another frightening — albeit sweet — reminder for the spooky holiday weekend ahead.
The Falconaires Orchestra presents When Music was Music Oct 24, 2014 7:54 AM
The Falconaires Orchestra presents When Music was Music
Des Plaines man sentenced in murder-for-hire plot Oct 24, 2014 3:11 PM
A 51-year-old Des Plaines man was sentenced to more than 17 years in prison after pleading guilty in July to attempting to hire a hitman to kill his estranged wife and her friends. Zenon Grzegorczyk was arrested in 2012 and has been in custody ever since. He met with undercover officers on three occasions to set up the murders and was willing to pay up to $5,000 for each person killed, authorities said. He will have to serve at least 85 percent of the sentence.
First suburban location of Barre Code Fitness Studio now open in Park Ridge Oct 24, 2014 6:58 PM
The Barre Code, Chicago’s hottest fitness craze, is expanding to the suburbs. The first suburban Barre Code Fitness Studio recently opened in northwest suburban Park Ridge (at 33½ Prospect Ave.), with a second suburban Chicago location scheduled to follow in 2015.
Northwest Choral Society announces 2014-15 season Oct 30, 2014 6:48 PM
The Northwest Choral Society, under the direction of artistic director Alan Wellman, announces the schedule and music selections for its three concert performances during the upcoming 2014-15 season.
Jaycees host Halloween Kid’s Fun Fest Oct 23, 2014 12:41 PM
Jaycees host Halloween Kid’s Fun Fest
New workshops at Harper College to aid prospective adult students Oct 23, 2014 12:47 PM
New workshops at Harper College to aid prospective adult students
Des Plaines Fire Department offers free CPR classes Oct 23, 2014 5:04 PM
The Des Plaines Fire Department is hosting free CPR instruction classes for residents next week. The classes will be held from 6:30 to 9 p.m. on Oct. 29 and from 9 a.m. to noon on Nov. 1, at fire station #1, 405 S. River Road.
Arlington Heights based electronic design firm Silicon Engines launches new, updated website Oct 23, 2014 12:06 PM
Celebrating their 25th anniversary of electronic design engineering, Silicon Engines has officially launched their new website. The new website is streamlined to separate Silicon Engines’ services division from their products division, allowing users to more easily access Silicon Engines’ services and capabilities information. A favorite of Silicon Engines’ website visitors, the News section will remain at siliconengines.net and continue to offer current and original content about electrical engineering and trends in the electrical engineering industry. Jeana Salomone, Strategy Consultant at ITS Marketing NOW and brand developer for Silicon Engines, noted the old site was trying to do too much. “Silicon Engines has two offerings – their services and their data converter products. But folks coming to their website usually want one or the other, not both, so we needed to simplify the message. To do that, we spun off the data converters to their own shopping site at automotivedataconverters.com and positioned Silicon Engines as the go-to site for information about their company, allowing visitors to take a deeper dive into the electrical engineering design industry. And this site redesign makes it easier for Silicon Engines staff to easily update their content and keep the site fresh for their visitors.” ABOUT SILICON ENGINES Silicon Engines is a full-service electronic design engineering company offering comprehensive electronic design, prototyping, testing, technical marketing, and manufacturing services. Our principals and associates have been engaged professionally in the design and manufacture of custom products for commercial and industrial customers since 1975. Silicon Engines was incorporated in the State of Illinois in 1989. Visit www.siliconengines.net for more information about Silicon Engines.
The Des Plaines Community Band Presents: REED THIS, Celebrating the Life and Works of Dr. Alfred Reed. Oct 23, 2014 1:10 PM
The Des Plaines Community Band Presents: REED THIS, Celebrating the Life and Works of Alfred Reed.
Holiday cards to support the Leukemia Research Foundation Oct 22, 2014 6:32 PM
The Leukemia Research Foundation announces its annual Holiday Card Sale. This year’s catalog includes cards for many occasions — and all can be customized. Cards for birthdays, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, and the New Year are available in many styles from general to business, religious, multicultural, progressive and more. The cards can be personalized and customers are able to customize verses. Cards range in style from a watercolor reproduction to traditional holiday scenes.
Two historic downtown Des Plaines buildings up for auction Oct 22, 2014 5:28 AM
Two historic buildings in downtown Des Plaines are on the auction block: the 93-year-old former Des Plaines Masonic Temple building — perhaps the oldest downtown building - and the former Oliveti's Italian Restaurant. Sealed bids are due Nov. 20, and the property owners will have five business days to review bids and decide whether to accept offers.
St Emily’s Cross Country Teams finish 3rd and 16th in State Oct 22, 2014 9:11 AM
St Emily’s Cross Country Teams finish 3rd and 16th in State
Fencing Gold Medal for Maciek Zmyslowski at 2014 Burton Open Oct 22, 2014 8:32 AM
Fencing Gold Medal for Maciek Zmyslowski at 2014 Burton Open
Harper launches Financial Boot Camp for businesses Oct 21, 2014 7:41 AM
Harper College Small Business Adviser Anthony Baldassano had a feeling there might be a host of northwest suburban entrepreneurs coming up healthy in the idea department – but a little out-of-shape in the area of financial management. His solution: Launch a Financial Boot Camp geared specifically toward local small businesses. The unique program, offered by Harper’s Small Business Development Center, offers a series of two-hour workshops focused on all aspects of small business financial management, from keeping financial records and smartly managing cash flow to determining realistic budgets and understanding small business tax issues. “There are so many people who have great ideas for great businesses, but maybe need a little additional guidance in the financial arena,” says Baldassano, a CPA and small business owner who’s overseeing the program and leading the sessions. “We want to help local entrepreneurs connect the dots and actually experience financial success.” Baldassano has worked as a financial analyst for a Fortune 500 company, managed a tax department for a privately held company and served as operations manager for a business startup. The workshops run from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Harper Professional Center, 650 E. Higgins Road, Suite 18N in Schaumburg. The cost is $50 per workshop, or $175 for all four. To register or for more information, call the SBDC at 847.925.6520 or visit harpercollege.edu and search SBDC. Workshops are: Thursday, October 23: Understanding “The Books.” Participants will learn to keep the necessary records, set up functional recordkeeping systems and review financial statements. Thursday, October 30: Using QuickBooks to Successfully Manage Your Business. Attendees will learn to take QuickBooks beyond basic bookkeeping, create effective reports to manage day-to-day operations, and get tips for digging into their business’ numbers to analyze operating results and their impact on the bottom line. Thursday, November 6: Managing Cash Flow: Your Business’ Survival Depends On It. Participants will learn to calculate and accurately project their business’ cash flow. Thursday, November 13: Budgeting and Forecasting for Small Business. Attendees will get the scoop on preparing a budget, and will learn to make reasonable, useful financial forecasts.
Des Plaines man gets probation for 2005 battery Oct 21, 2014 6:01 PM
Gabriel Torres-Loza, of Des Plaines, was sentenced to two years probation in exchange for pleading guilty to a 2005 aggravated battery.
- Waves slam Chicago lakeshore
- Facebook-of-China Renren abandoned by analysts on growth
- Does reality TV hurt girls?
- Wal-mart to cut prices on 20,000 items to spur sales
- Hill's profile of courage inspires many
- Northbrook "Home for the Holidays" Returns with Guest Choirs
- Virgin Galactic spaceship crashes
- Girls lacrosse all-Daily Herald team
- Jury rules man guilty in kidnapping, sex assault case
- DuPage scores show 'math finally makes sense'
- Football Focus: Week 10 Preview
- Batavia picks off Geneva
- Palatine gets it right
- Football: Week 9 MVPs
- A last chance to end 50-year Rt. 53 extension struggle
- Why did Marine from Elk Grove Village take his life?
- Palatine powers past Barrington
- Facebook post gets heat from Elgin police
- Report: Forgetful drug defendant brings pot to Kane courthouse
- Imrem: Toughest thing about Bears is watching them
- CELLULAR SOFTWARE SIGNALING ENGINEER - Engineer -LitePoint Corporation, a Teradyne company, looks for Cellular Software Signaling Engineer in Arlington Heights, IL, to develop signaling stacks. Visit www.litepoint.com for details. Reply with Req. ID to 965 W. Maude Ave. Sunnyvale, CA 94085. (id:4388961) PART-TIME CUSTODIAN - Fremont Public Libary, Mundelein. 16 hrs-wk, evenings and weekends. Cleaning, snow removal, meeting room set-ups. Knowledge of automated building controls a plus. Lift at least 70 lbs, read-write English. 1170 N. Midlothian Rd, Mundelein www.fremontlibrary.org-about-us-jobs (id:4389826) MAINTENANCE MECHANIC - Mechanic -Simpson Strong-Tie is looking for a Building Maintenance Mechanic Repair all facility equipment and ground maintenance. Experience in electrical, HVAC, and plumbing repairs a plus. Landscape maintenance, snow removal, factory housekeeping. Forklift exp. desired. Great benefits. Fax to 630-596-1458 or email email@example.com (id:4389553)
- COURIER DRIVERS - CDL B driver -if you meet the following qualifications: 1 yr verifiable exp., no more than 1 moving violation in the past yr, pass bkground physical, drug /aclohol test. Ability to perform physically demand- ing work. Must be fluent in English. Northwest suburbs. Up to $2500 sign on bonus. Call 847-816-6381 (id:4389254) NURSING INSTRUCTORS - Education MORTON COLLEGE, seeks ADJUNCT NURSING ASSISTANT INSTRUCTORS, for Spring 2015. For more info., see our ad under "Nursing" EOE (id:4389469) DRIVER CDL-A - West Suburban Stone Distributor seeks driver for Regional runs. Home 4-5 nights per week. Good driving record required. Complete benefits package. Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4388662)
- CNA'S - Health Care -CNAs FT for 3pm-11pm shift & Weekend Only Program and PT for all weekend shifts. Ask about our new weekend incentive. Compassionate, reliable, & customer service oriented individuals please apply with Karina Negrete, Nursing Scheduler at Lee Manor -1301 Lee St., Des Plaines 847-827-5796 Fax (id:4389403) WAREHOUSE SIT DOWN FORKLIFT OPERATOR/ P - Warehouse Sit Down Forklift Operator-Picker-Packer requirements: and middot;1+ year RECENT Picking-Packing and-with Forklift Operation experience. and middot;ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a regular basis and middot;good numerical matching skills and middot;strong attention to details and middot;reliable work ethics and middot;team spirit Pls send the resume to: email@example.com (id:4388989) RECEPTIONIST - Busy Pediatric office in Arlington Hts. Tuesday and Friday 8:15 -5:30, plus one Saturday per month 8:15 -12:30. Candidate should have basic computer knowledge, customer service skills, ability to multi task. Medical office experience helpful but not necessary. $12.00-hour Send resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org (id:4389983)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.