Activate Your Free
Articles filed under Commentary
COD board too slow to act on audit Mar 13, 2015 1:00 AM
Guest columnist Jeanne Ives: Those who pay taxes to support the College of DuPage have learned recently that their hard-earned money sent to the college in good faith has been misspent on lucrative contract buyout deals for underperforming administrators and on lavish dining for top administrators and trustees.
Slusher: Distinguishing between speculation and analysis Mar 16, 2015 11:23 AM
Columnist Jim Slusher: The oral arguments before the Illinois Supreme Court Wednesday open the door to a common, if not a favorite, journalistic pastime: lively speculation disguised as pointed analysis.
Iraq is not our place Mar 12, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Georgie Anne Geyer: The story of the week — which may soon become the story of the Iraqi war — was the picture of the hawk-nosed, cold-eyed Qassem Suleimani, head of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards’ Quds Force, standing confidently on Iraqi soil, overseeing his fighters attacking Tikrit.
Where’s the value in demeaning diplomacy? Mar 11, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Kathleen Parker: With a few tweaks to Scripture, herewith today’s relevant verse: What therefore President Obama hath joined together, let Republicans put asunder.
Selma, Ferguson and our perpetual challenge Mar 11, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Michael Gerson: The juxtaposition of the Justice Department’s damning Ferguson report and President Obama’s fine speech to mark the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday was coincidental. But the founders of the civil rights movement would certainly have found it providential, so I’ll go with that.
Still haunted by past, but looking to the future Mar 10, 2015 5:35 AM
Columnist Richard Cohen: On one of my flights here, sheer luck took a liking to me. I got seated next to Thelma Adair, a 94-year-old black woman coming down from New York City for the Jubilee.
Brains winning out over Spines -- so far Mar 9, 2015 12:00 AM
Columnists Cokie and Steven Roberts: In the Homeland Security struggle, the Brains beat the Spines, the fight revealed a series of political realities that will not go away.
Negotiating from weakness a threat to Mideast Mar 9, 2015 12:00 AM
Columnist Michael Gerson: Over the years, President Obama has been criticized and praised -- but mainly praised -- for lacking a driving foreign policy ideology. It seemed to be one of the “childish things” he promised to set aside as he launched his presidency in 2009.
GOP scrambles to keep ACA subsidies flowing in case of supreme court victory Mar 8, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Byron York: What happens if Republicans win the Supreme Court case against Obamacare? They might end up like the dog that caught the car.
21 of 22 right on 3rd-grade test tells us a lot Mar 8, 2015 1:00 AM
DuPage/Fox Valley news director Jim Davis fails to ace a third-grade achievment exam, recovers sufficiently to explain why there's so much angst over the state's new standardized testing taking place across the state.
Japan’s sun poised to rise on world stage Mar 6, 2015 5:50 AM
Columnist Georgie Anne Geyer: While the Middle East and Eurasia are dominated by violent scenarios that change by the minute, Asia has been largely quiet, except for the Chinese military’s “your island is my island” attempts to gulp down all the small islands in the South China Sea.
Rauner budget is the right start Mar 6, 2015 1:00 AM
Guest columnist David From: In all reality, there are a number of aspects in Gov. Rauner's budget proposal that are deserving of praise, not the least of which is his decision to exclude tax hikes.
Assistance of regional superintendents in budget danger Mar 5, 2015 5:24 AM
Guest columnist Pat Dal Santo: Regional superintendents of schools also look to 1865 as the start of a long legacy of serving Illinois schools.
ISIS poses no realistic threat to U.S. Mar 4, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Gene Lyons: OMG! OMG! We're all going to die! Cable TV news networks won't be happy until they've got the whole country hiding in the basement, glued to Wolf Blitzer's lugubrious team of terrorism experts warning of theoretical, if not downright imaginary, threats to America's shopping malls and vital fast-food industry
Getting Africa’s health systems to be self-reliant Mar 4, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Michael Gerson: After a storied history of revolutionary defiance toward America — in which Tanzania played host to Angela Davis, Huey Newton and Malcolm X — this country can hardly get enough of the U.S. of A.
Israel’s moral argument is at risk Mar 3, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Richard Cohen:
Can Obama, Ryan team up to persuade trade hard-liners? Mar 3, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnists Cokie and Stephen Roberts: There is a very short list of topics on which the Democratic president and the Republican Congress might actually cooperate. In fact, the list might contain only one item. Trade.
Trooper rehab longer than trucker sentence Mar 2, 2015 9:25 AM
For sure, the case of a tired truck driver and the fatal crash he caused a year ago is a tragedy. But the wife of a state trooper severely injured in the wreck made an important point about justice, says DuPage/Fox Valley news director Jim Davis
The political act of judging Christians Feb 27, 2015 1:00 AM
Columnist Michael Gerson: Questioning a person's personal affirmation involves a serious charge — an accusation of the worst sort of cynicism. And it is simply not the role of a Christian layman to publicly dispute the self-identification of other Christians.
History is in the eye of the beholder Feb 27, 2015 1:00 AM
Guest columnist Glenn Joshua: The fact is, Black History Month, for many, feels more like a necessary evil than a 28-day celebration honoring the great African American accomplishments in this country and throughout the world.
- Tollway sets higher speed limits, bucks state law
- Budget fix averts shutdowns but cuts schools
- Utility: Inspectors found faulty work before NYC blast
- Ex-SEAL brings military training technology to firing range
- Aurora soldier and his cousin accused in terrorist plot
- Priest helps heroin addicts heal 'hole in the soul'
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Dan Bailey: Candidate Profile
- Why man is still paying for a 2004 speeding ticket
- Police: Man charged with DUI had 3 kids in car
- Earthquake reported west of Lake in the Hills
- Police: Huntley man killed his wife
- Why gas prices are rising in the suburbs
- Kuma's Corner coming to Schaumburg in July
- Aurora soldier and his cousin accused in terrorist plot
- Dawn Patrol: Quake near Lake in the Hills; student brings BB gun to school
- Volo woman charged after bank robbery in Grayslake
- Parents: We shouldn't need permission to skip school testing
- Alone at controls, co-pilot sought to 'destroy' the plane
- Report: Walgreens employees to stop saying 'Be well'
- CLEANING - CLEANING HOMES must have DL & speak Eng. $10-14 + bnfts. Call McMaid Rolling Mdws: 847-991-2383 Dwnrs Grv: 630-515-8800 Wauconda: 847-526-4447 (id:4402019) LABORER & CDL DRIVER - Joe Meyer Tree Service Inc. of Spring Grove, IL is now hiring experienced help. The positions include competive wages, health insurance & retirement package. CDL is a plus. Providing quality tree care for 51 years. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-587-0593 (id:4401689) BILINGUAL THERAPIST - Bilingual Spanish Therapist, Elgin and Aurora -Masters with LCSW-LCPC. M-F, 35 hrs. + benefits. Apply: email@example.com. (id:4401929)
- PROGRAMMER ANALYST - Programmer Analyst eTek IT Services Inc has j/o's for Programmer Analyst. Jobs loc in Schaumburg, IL & var unanticip locs t/o the US. Cnvrt proj specs & statemnts of probs & procdrs to dtaild logcl flow charts for coding into comp lnguge. Dvlp & write comp progs to store, loc, & retrve spcfc docs, data, & info. Rsrch, anlyz & dtrmne info needs & dataflw reqmnts. Req exp w/ IBM Information Server, DataStage, & MS Visio. Trvl/reloc to var unanticip locs t/o the US for LT/ST asgnmnts at clt sites. Req: MS or frgn equiv in Comp Sci, Engg (any), or rel & 6 mos. of exp in the job/off or as a Comp S/W Profl. Mail res w/cvr ltr: eTek IT Services Inc PO Box 59058 Schaumburg, IL 60159 Job 14ETI02 EOE (id:4401632) AUTO SALES - Auto AUTO SALES -HIRING EVENT - Bob Rohrman Auto Group Schaumburg, IL This hiring event is for all 15 Chicagoland locations in the Bob Rohrman Auto Group! We have locations in Schaumburg, Arlington Heights, Libertyville, Gurnee, Oakbrook, Kenosha, WI and Chesterton, IN. Start Your New Career...No Experience Needed...We Will Train You the Right Way to Sell Cars! The BOB ROHRMAN AUTO GROUP is not only the Midwest's #1 volume family-owned auto group, we're also an industry leader in ethical sales. We're looking for 10 to 20 good men & women to join our staff of sales professionals. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a positive, family-oriented dealership that does things the RIGHT WAY! As a result of continued rapid growth, The Bob Rohrman Auto Group is currently hiring multiple sales consultants at multiple locations. If you are selected WE OFFER: FREE 3-day training class at Rohrman University Our best sales associates make well over $100,000 per year. Full benefits: medical, dental, vision, 401(k), Etc. Career advancement op- portunities to management Excellent floor traffic, in- ventory & a great reputation in the community! We require of our sale team: Professional appearance with good communication skills. If you are bilingual that is a real advantage. Must have integrity, with a positive attitude & a strong work ethic Willing to learn & be recep- tive to new ideas You must be a team player We are a drug-free, equal opportunity employer Valid drivers license -Interviews: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2pm to 6pm Interviews held at: -ROHRMAN UNIVERSITY 1225 N Plum Grove Rd Schaumburg, IL 60173. Behind Red Lobster and across fromSchaumburg Honda. No appointment necessary but if you need to schedule a specific time contact: JR Rohrman, 1-269-591-2223, Please dress professionally for your interview (id:4402016) RESTAURANT - Restaurant -Ditka's in Arlington Heights is now hiring for ALL POSITIONS for both AM and PM shifts -servers, ser-ver assistants, food runners, bartenders, bar backs, hosts, line cooks, prep team, and dishwashers. Please apply in person between the hours of 2pm and 4pm. 2000 West Euclid Ave. (id:4401722)
- IT AUDITOR - IT Auditor -Ingredion Inc (Westchester, IL): Perform integrated IT audit procedures, incl identifying & defining issues, dvlpg criteria, reviewing & analyzing evidence, & documenting bus. processes & procedures. Participate in finl audit planning & finl audit prog dvlpmt impacted by IT controls. Eval. adequacy & effectiveness of controls rel. to IT governance, app syss & interfaces, dvlpmt & implementation, logical access & IT data center ops. Determine operational status of IT controls, compliance w/ company policies, standards, procedures, & applicable statutes & govt regs. Comm results of audit projects via written & oral presentations to mgmt. Resp for prep written audit reports for all levels of mgmt, detailing audit findings, conclusions, & agreed-upon corrective actions. Prep audit work papers & flowcharts in order to doc & sppt audit findings & conclusions. Identify improvement oppties & dvlpmt of action plans to enhance bus. process & IT syss integration. Resp for identifying & eval. orgs risk areas & provide input to dvlpmt of Audit Plan, which entails examining, analyzing & interpreting acctg recs such as journal entries & master data. Dvlp working relationships w/ internal stake- holders & global Internal Audit team members to deliver results, support bus. performance, & advice on syss of recording costs & IT-rel. budget data. Min Reqts: Bach in CS, Bus. Admin, Acctg or rel., plus 2 yrs IT Audit exp in public acctg &/or internal audit. Must incl exp in perform- ing data analyses of complex bus. data, auditing SAP Apps & Basis controls (e.g., FI, CO, MM & SD modules) & auditing IT infrastructure controls rel. to dbase & operating syss. Exp reqd in integrated IT/Bus. risk & control concepts rel. to SAP App Controls, Syss Dvlpmt Life Cycle (SDLC), Cloud Computing & IT General Controls. 30% travel reqd to attend trade shows, conferences, trainings, & client sites. Pls send resume to: Krsto (Kris) Nisavic, HR, Ingredion, Inc. 5 Westbrook Corporate Ctr, Westchester, IL 60154. Must specify job code Ing1-2015. EOE, MFDV. (id:4401793) DRIVERS - Drivers Se solicitan conductores Quality Carriers, la lnea de camiones cisterna No. 1 en EEUU est buscando conductores con licencia CDL-A con disponibilidad inmediata. Quality Carriers tiene ms de 100 aos de existencia, y cuenta con 100 terminales. Solicite hoy y compruebe la diferencia que Quality puede hacer en su vida! $5000 de Bono de Contratacin para Operadores Propietarios! $1000 de Bono de Contratacin para Conductores de la Compaa Hay Puestos para Conduccin en Carretera y Local Disponibles Ahora Solictud Sencilla en www.work4qc.com. Llame a Ken hoy 1-708-457-7600 Ofrecemos: Paga Mxima y Beneficios Equipo con Modelos Actuales Horario Regular Trabajo estable todo el ao Estndares de Seguridad Lderes en la Industria Disponibilidad de paquete completo de beneficios Para Calificar: Registro de Vehculos de Motor Limpio 22 aos o mayor Avalado por Hazmat o Tanker Habilidad de obtener la tarjeta TWIC 1 ao de experiencia en TT TANKER TOUGH Call 1-708-457-7600 (id:4400963) ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - West Chicago office looking for a full time person to perform credit, collection, and light data entry duties. $14 to $16 per hour plus full benefits. Email replies to firstname.lastname@example.org. (id:4402421)
Connect with a business or service in your area fast. First select a town, then enter a search term or choose one of the listed popular searches:
Don't see your town listed? Visit our full directory to begin your search.